Carrier Bags

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Carrier Bags

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

I have a basket, assorted long life bags and jute bags all aimed at stopping me from having to pay for carrier bags. However now I do not have supermarket bags to line my kitchen bin I’m buying plastic bags on a roll!! The Welsh Assembly have just increased the profits for the supermarkets again.

Chris
    Participant

Think it is costing them more in missing baskets and trolleys.

Taffy
    Participant

Many supermarkets have started putting security tags on their baskets due to the large amount going missing.

Bugsy
    Participant

Shops don’t keep the 5p for the sale of carrier bags. The Government have asked all shops to donate the money made to environmental charities/projects. Although the ‘bag for life’ bags prices from 5p to £££ are a money spinner for supermarkets but I’m not sure if this also falls under the donations act thing.

wrexview
    Participant

Well I suppose it was bound to happen, Home Bargains cheapest bag is now 10p. Do they still record how many they sell and publish the result? Or because they do not have any ” single use ” bags are they exempt?

wrexview
    Participant

Well the plastic bag levy has been with us for a year now. Tesco have raised£770,000 in Wales. This is a large sum of of money and would make a substantial difference to many charities . I am very disappointed they have only supported one charity RSPB Cymru. Some supermarkets actually ask their customers which charities they would like to support. I am the only one who would like to see the money raised in Wrexham spent in Wrexham?

Y Ffin
    Participant

The carrier bag scheme is definitely the best scheme the Welsh Government has brought in. Plastic bags are a huge waste problem, not just here in Wales, but alson out at sea. Now we need an extra local sales tax on drinks sold in plastic bottles, take away meals and all snacks sold in wrappers, bags and the like which together litter our countryside and towns. The money raised could help pay for the daily clean up operation that councils have to pay for and could help encourage people to eat and drink more healthily.

Robert
    Participant

@Y Ffin 2442 wrote:

…..Now we need an extra local sales tax on drinks sold in plastic bottles, take away meals and all snacks sold in wrappers, bags and the like which together litter our countryside and towns. The money raised could help pay for the daily clean up operation that councils have to pay for and could help encourage people to eat and drink more healthily.

Oh good!

Just what we need more of…

Tax, nannying, and bureaucracy to manage it all.

KKOB
    Participant

And of course we’ll more Police Officers and / or Enforcement Officers.

Oh, wait a minute though! Our taxes will have to go up to pay for them.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Y Ffin 2442 wrote:

The carrier bag scheme is definitely the best scheme the Welsh Government has brought in. Plastic bags are a huge waste problem, not just here in Wales, but alson out at sea. Now we need an extra local sales tax on drinks sold in plastic bottles, take away meals and all snacks sold in wrappers, bags and the like which together litter our countryside and towns. The money raised could help pay for the daily clean up operation that councils have to pay for and could help encourage people to eat and drink more healthily.

hear. hear.

The council should also pay a levy for every visit by a local to their out of town recycling plants that should be roughly the same cost as the petrol paid by the consumer from the greyhound pub roundabout to the centre next door to the kelloggs factory.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News