Care Homes and Care Worker PPE

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Care Homes and Care Worker PPE

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Perhaps our AM Lesley Griffiths and MP Sarah Atherton, both of whom have experience in the Health sector , could get together ( over the phone /internet ) and source / coordinate some PPE for the Care Homes and Care Workers in our area. If the public knew where and what was needed then help maybe could be found locally . Local schools and businesses have already helped out the hospital and continue to do so. We have no idea how long the wait will be for more PPE to be cascaded to Wrexham via London and Cardiff.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent point Wrexview.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I find it very difficult to blame Westminster for current shortage of PPE in Wales. Health in Wales is a devolved matter, purely and simply within the domain of the Welsh Assembly.
    Vaughan Gethin is quoted as saying “It makes sense the 4 UK nations work together on procurement of PPE rather than compete against each other.” Herein lies the problem.
    If, from the outset of the pandemic in the U.K., the 4 nations had worked together with one common policy, many of the problems being encountered would have been more manageable.
    Vulnerable people in England for example, could access a gov.uk website to register for assistance whereas in Wales, no such facility exists.
    I have the utmost admiration and respect for all those involved in caring for us in this time of crisis, all NHS staff, care workers and all the people involved in providing essential services.
    The main lesson that should be learned is that we are a UNITED Kingdom and the response by one should apply equally to all.
    It distresses me that once again, we are let down by the Assembly when the lions of the caring professions are being led by donkeys.

AMA Express
    Participant

Remember though, it’s not the front-line carers who order equipment, it’s the ‘bean counters’, ‘box tickers’ and ‘ar5e lickers’.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Yes, the Welsh Assembly!

JaneJ
    Participant

NHS and Care differences in England and Wales are just two reasons why we should consider a rethink about what we mean by a NATIONAL Health Service- the current devolved nature of health has on so many levels shown a split in the support available across the UK.
    Seperate contracts for testing, seperate announcements about lifting the lockdown, separte PPE procurment are just a few key areas where the public are at risk.
    Lets get back to a true National Health Service

MargaretA
    Participant

Benjamin M says that residents in England have a gov. Uk website to ask for assistance. Exactly the same setup is available in Wales, but set up at a local level.
    If you need any assistance, contact AVOW and your local Councillor. There are volunteers in place.
    Our volunteers have been busy almost from day 1, offers from companies and individuals were collated and requests had a response.
    In England the Government launched its appeal for a Volunteer Army. Such was the response, that only this week were volunteers being contacted. Large isn’t always best.
    Yes, all the Governments/Assemblies should be working together. The planning for a pandemic should have involved all of them, as should stockpiling of equipment.
    When all the announcements are made by the PM in the daily briefings, how many realise that he is referring to England.
    Stay home, stay safe.

BenjaminM
    Participant

MargaretA, you state in your post that assistance is available at a local level via AVOW, that is true -to a point.

I am in the shielding category for several reasons. I contacted AVOW to ask what, if anything was available to me. I was referred to a Community Agent who I spoke with.

The total of the ‘advice’ given to me was the telephone number of a local shop who, if I phoned through would deliver a phone order, and that was it.

At an early date within the crisis, those that registered on gov.uk had their eligibility passed on to supermarkets so that they may obtain priority slots for home delivery. This did not happen in a timely manner in Wales and the task has still not been completed. Without that information, the earliest delivery in the normal course of events is 29th April from Tesco.

AVOW99
    Participant

Benjamin- as Chief Officer for AVOW I would like to clarify a couple of points.

If anyone is in receipt of the Welsh Government letter saying they are in the group that is defined as needing “Shielding” then it states that a person should first identify if they have any support from family, neighbours or community support. If there is no such support, then people should contact the Council on the number included in the letter – 292000. The persons details will be added to a Welsh Government Portal that will then trigger a Food Parcel direct to the door delivered by a commercial company.
    The parcels are not based on financial ability to pay for food but the inability to obtain any shopping.
    Those who have received the ‘Shielding ‘ letter have been defined from Medical Records only and does not include other possible vulnerabilities.
    Anyone who believes they should have received a letter should contact their GP and not the Council – the Council are unable to add people to the Portal.
    The Welsh Government have just signed an agreement with some of the main supermarkets for people who are ‘Shielding’ to receive a priority delivery slot. This arrangement is only for those who have received the letter.
    In addition anyone who needs help collecting prescriptions but has no help locally can contact AVOW on 312556 or email [email protected] and a volunteer will be identified. Additional information can be found at http://www.avow.org
    Hope this helps – happy to give any more information or clarify any points.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Why is being overlooked that most care homes are run by private companies that make a tidy profit from them? Shouldn’t they be looking after their staff by providing PPE? Pretty sure all the measure’s supermarket’s have put in place has been funded by themselves. I’m all for every key worker having the right PPE but it’s down their employers and not all key workers work for the government. Typical CEO’s passing the book!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News