Cardiff Beach

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cardiff Beach

• Author

zinger
    Participant

99DylanJones
    Participant

We could have had one free in Wrexham last year provided by the local fair operator — council would not accept the offer

BorrasBill
    Participant

There was one in Liverpool a couple of years ago, it seemed very popular.

DR
    Participant

Last year’s beach idea fell through for several reasons; funding, negative press from some publications and a general backlash to the idea. Which is a shame, as having seen previous ones, they work quite well and have a good community feel!

Town Centre ‘Wrexham On Sea’ Beach Idea Scrapped After Backlash | Wrexham.com

However the children’s Play Day will be back on August 6th, which last year had sand and water. But wasn’t a beach. Last year’s Play Day was a huge success, so hopefully this year (and the weather!) can replicate the previous events.

Alunh
    Participant

The problem last year was that local tax payers were spitting feathers about Wrexham Council perhaps paying for a Beach at the same time as austerity appeared to be the name of the game.

As Dylan mentioned, there are Entrepreneurs willing to do these sort of things with no cost to the public purse and in 2014 that should usually be the first port of call.

There are several local promoters of all sorts of things that just need a little encouragement and removal of red tape to do their thing. I would be wary of anyone who wants money from the public purse for entertainment and I’m sure that this town could have Beaches, Fairs, Soul Nights and a million other things if private promoters were just encouraged.

99DylanJones
    Participant

The backlash was due to the Council saying they were going to fund something that James from the fair which attends the Town Centre Forum had offered to put one up free assuming he would have recouped his costs from having some rides available.
    The Play Day has been fantastic for the past few years and brought large number into the town (not sure for ho long as the Play Team is under scrutiny at the moment by the cost cutting consultants who are looking at all elements of Council service)

Alunh
    Participant

Quite agree about the Play Day. I would certainly not wish to cut the successful things that only a Council can undertake. Equally, I would suggest that a cash-strapped Council should try to encourage others to put their head above the parapets and take the risks (where there are any). I note that Glyndwr University,who have tried and failed with a succession of Music ventures over the year have come to an arrangement with a Music promoter with a track record following the same logic

wrexview
    Participant

Cardiff have done it on a much much larger scale that Wrexham was proposing but despite the cuts some cities / towns still manage to put on such events!

DR
    Participant

I think there may have been a similar one held up in Buckley last year as well. Was a ‘Blackpool comes to town’ style thing if I remember rightly.

wrexview
    Participant

Yes , Buckley Town Council put it on and it included donkey rides, Punch and Judy, fairground rides and of course a beach!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News