Car Parking (again!)

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Car Parking (again!)

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

As someone who has said on many occasions that parking charges in Wrexham should be looked at, I welcome the free parking in Wrexham at the Council car parks for December although I think it should go further than one month (not free but reduced all year round)

But I have a query as to how the maximum stay is practically enforced (which I think it should be) to explain :

There is no need to get a ticket, therefore how can anyone know when a car enters a car park, from that how can anyone tell how long a car is in the car park, there are no extra warnings on the machines that I have looked at saying it is a limited time, only on line warnings like for the Christmas Market on Thursday.

As I say how is this policed ? am I missing something ?

AMA Express
    Participant

am I missing something ?

Either by ANPR or by Enforcement Officers physically checking.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=141320]am I missing something ?

Either by ANPR or by Enforcement Officers physically checking.[/quote]

ANPR is not there as far as I can see and there is definitely no Enforcement Officers checking cars going in.

I was in Wrexham this morning and the Car Park at the library was choc-o-bloc at just after nine, and Westminster Drive was relatively an empty road compared to the usual !

Daave63
    Participant

I would assume that similar to the limited waiting in an on street parking bay i.e 30 minutes, the parked cars reg number would be noted and if its still there over the max time allowed, would receive a ticket! Simpels!

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=141395]I would assume that similar to the limited waiting in an on street parking bay i.e 30 minutes, the parked cars reg number would be noted and if its still there over the max time allowed, would receive a ticket! Simpels![/quote]

There is a lot more cars to monitor, without knowing what time the cars enter the car park and with no tickets to reference, I would say not simples and very difficult to police.

The way to have done it would have been to do what they did at the maelor hospital at one time, everyone has to take a ticket where the time would be recorded, which then would make people nervous about over staying their time. Simples !!!

CarolThomas
    Participant

There will be a kickback to the time limit – look how many cars have moved from Penymaes Avenue and Westminster Drive — lots of town workers who work all day now using the freebies.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=141404]There will be a kickback to the time limit – look how many cars have moved from Penymaes Avenue and Westminster Drive — lots of town workers who work all day now using the freebies.[/quote]

Exactly

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=141404]There will be a kickback to the time limit – look how many cars have moved from Penymaes Avenue and Westminster Drive — lots of town workers who work all day now using the freebies.[/quote]

I think that is the case, both the Library and Waterworld car parks were completely full at 9.30 yesterday morning with nowhere for anyone to park – several people looking for spaces. Yet in town there were hardly any shoppers. Came to the conclusion it was 9-5 workers parking there all day for free, thus completely spoiling the incentive for people who actually wanted to come and spend money in the town’s shops.

Nen
    Participant

The savings on daily parking charges is a nice little “Christmas Bonus” for those of us who work in the town centre. Every little helps, as they say.

Alunh
    Participant

Funny how the pendulum swings from one silly position on this subject to another.

For several years people have been screaming at the Council to provide cheap access to the town, especially around Christmas. The opposition to this was very logical, it being premised on the need to get in parking revenue to fund services.

Finally the need to get shoppers and tourists into Wrexham to encourage the town’s traders appeared to have trumped the parking revenue emphasis. Free parking throughout December.

Far be it from me to moan about free parking but the predictable inverse effect was noted immediately. Provide free parking between 7.00 and 10.00 in the morning, especially within the town, and what you get is two things. No revenue and Car Parks full of town centre workers. The actual consequence is to deny those shoppers who want to park conveniently a parking space whilst denying the Council revenue. Of course….there is an alternative. Make the Car Parks free from 10.00am instead of 3.00pm, thus retaining work force revenue and keeping the car parks relatively free for the shoppers and tourists. They were told

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News