Anonymous
    Inactive

Very true.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Splitters!

Maureen Gray
    Participant

So Wrexham Labour name Mary Wimpery as the runner up in the gen elect. She claims to know Wrexham and its issues and would seek to build on the work Ian has done on transport – what complain about it whilst supporting policies then signal its demise? She claims to have been a candidate before and held her own on a platform – rude at the station. She has helped ensure key sporting events remained free to air for everyone to enjoy – well I’ve just renewed me sky box, so I wouldn’t give a monkeys. I don’t think I need to worry about her tbh. Away my mighty stead🐎to hustings! #freerollsforall

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Mareen are you being sutble calling the new candidate Wimpery rather than Wimbury — do you think she is a wimp!!

Katia
    Participant

Congratulations to Mary Wimbury on being chosen to represent the Labour Party in Wrexham.

Is Mary Wimbury the best candidate or the best female candidate ?
    Were other candidates excluded if not female ?
    If so how does this ensure the best candidate is chosen irrespective of their sex ?

Positively discriminating in favour of a particular group is something we should be working against if we are to achieve genuine equality of all. Of course, IF all the best candidates were women that’s perfectly acceptable. What does an ‘all women shortlist’ mean in this particular instance ?

Does Mary Wimbury come from Wrexham ?
    How long has Mary Wimbury lived in Wrexham ?
    Does Mary Wimbury come from Bournemouth ?

Does Mary Wimbury support UK remaining in the EU or leaving the EU ?

Is Mary Wimbury a ‘Corbyn Sceptic’ ?

Why does one of Mary Wimbury’s profiles on social media state she is ‘only just’ in the Labour Party ?

Wrexham Labour Party

@WRX_Labour
    Follow Follow @WRX_Labour
    More
    Well done and commiserations to @helen4wrexhammp, #SharonMorris and #DanaDavies who were fierce + excellent candidates.

To see 4 great Women candidates was fabulous to see. Wrexham Labour is on course to have Female MP,Female AM and a Female Leader of the council group.

#Girls

2:26 PM – 1 Nov 2019

https://labourlist.org/2019/11/progress-activist-mary-wimbury-wins-wrexham-selection/

Matt
    Participant

Wimbury wasn’t the best candidate on that list. Helen Grout who came runner up would have been a significantly better candidate.

Of course people should get behind Wimbury and vote for Labour in Wrexham. But alarm bells ring when she is being congratulated by the absolutely despised right wing Blairite and Israel Apartheid Cheerleader Luke Akehurst.

I will reserve judgment on her based on how she does for Wrexham if she gets in and her overall conduct within Labour.

zinger
    Participant

100% behind what Katia says. Discrimination due to gender is unacceptable. Until I see answers to Katia’s questions I will keep my options open.

DerekJackson
    Participant

So it looks like the local Laour Party may not have acted in a democratic way – how on earth are the local electorate going to accept any candidate if there is distrust from within their own membership. Unless someone knows something different I assume the actual vote at the hustings was ‘rigged’ then Mary must have come over as the best so should now be supported.
    All the wingers need to get in their box and start getting behind THEIR candidite and get on the road to convince others that Labour actually has something to offer for getting Brexit over the line.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=176443]
    All the wingers need to get in their box and start getting behind THEIR candidite and get on the road to convince others that Labour actually has something to offer for getting Brexit over the line.[/quote]

Well herein lies the problem Derek – both the grassroots and the PLP in Labour are completely split between leave vs remaining still. So you’ll get one person telling you Labour are going to go and get a better Brexit deal – but ultimately a people’s vote is what will follow and the remain element will focus on that and supporting remain in a second referendum which will lead to blocking Brexit.

Wimbury herself is a Europhile – probably more so than Lucas was. Check this blog.
    Where do I stand on Brexit?

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=176460]

All the wingers need to get in their box and start getting behind THEIR candidite and get on the road to convince others that Labour actually has something to offer for getting Brexit over the line.

Well herein lies the problem Derek – both the grassroots and the PLP in Labour are completely split between leave vs remaining still. So you’ll get one person telling you Labour are going to go and get a better Brexit deal – but ultimately a people’s vote is what will follow and the remain element will focus on that and supporting remain in a second referendum which will lead to blocking Brexit.

Wimbury herself is a Europhile – probably more so than Lucas was. Check this blog.
    Where do I stand on Brexit?[/quote]

I read every word of “Where Do I stand on Brexit” and from that fear for Labour in Wrexham, unthinkable ??

1918 Sir Robert Thomas Coalition Liberal
    1922 Robert Richards Labour
    1924 Christmas Price Williams Liberal
    1929 Robert Richards Labour
    1931 Aled Roberts Liberal
    1935 Robert Richards Labour
    1955 Idwal Jones Labour
    1970 Tom Ellis Labour
    1981 Social Democrat
    1983 John Marek Labour
    2001 Ian Lucas Labour

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News