Can this be allowed for building on Green Barrier / Belt ?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Can this be allowed for building on Green Barrier / Belt ?

• Author

Sam
    Participant

Getting back on topic. It seems that Changing of rules to suit a proposal is wrong on all levels.
    This could, can and probably will effect a large amount of Wrexham residents, if not now, it will soon.
    This proposal and it’s outcome may well have a massive part in the shaping of the future Wrexham.

What are the limits of exceptional circumstances in the eyes of the WCBC ?
    Should it be allowed ?

aphuw
    Participant

In planning terms then “exceptional circumstances” would be where the benefit outweighs the negative impact. However, I don’t think that was ever proven here: the inspector said that there was no evidence that all other options had been considered to deliver the infrastructure and that the negative impact was very serious indeed, indeed it fundamentally breached the development plan. As I mentioned the reason for resubmission doesn’t address this but argues other circumstances changed – however there is some doubt these other circumstances are that compelling an argument either.

Sam
    Participant

I’m referring to an article published today on leaderlive.

http://www.oldleaderlivestory.co.uk/news/119328/fossil-forest-could-transform-wrexham-steelworks-site.

I’d like to bring to everyone’s attention to a quote with it related to this forum topic.

“But the project would need huge funding, the restoration of former works buildings and acquisition of land, consultants have warned.”

I wonder if more green barrier / belt is going to be lost to fund another type of development within the WCBC ?

aphuw
    Participant

The neglect of the historic steelworks site is another shameful facet of the whole mess. As you know, there were media reports a couple of years back that the old buildings were actually collapsing through lack of attention. Furthermore a CADW survey indicated that substantial (and costly) remedial works were necessary.

There were suggestions bundled into the infamous ‘enabling’ development that leftover cash could be used to “kick start” the area’s restoration, but these were so vague as to be useless. An ‘enabling’ development generally contains a clear commitment to specific amounts and outcomes. I have yet to see anything of this kind.

Either way it’ll need a huge chunk of money and I wonder what other development concessions might be demanded before any private sector manna falls from heaven – I’m never convinced of the benefits of making these things dependent on anything but the voluntary sector.

Furthermore the latest plans that I have seen from the Council’s records look quite different to those originally put forward in 2003ish. There are two blocks of 5 storey flats actually *in* the heritage area. One is right on top of the site that the Heritage Group, in a presentation available on its website, identifies as suitable for a visitor centre! I hope the Council and developers have kept the Heritage Group aware of all this.

As for the remarkable “fossil forest”, the current plans show it situated between some kind of pub/restaurant and a petrol station. Really lends it a touch of class, eh? I am very concerned there is pressure to screw yet more development “opportunities” out of the site.

aphuw
    Participant

Also what’s this “acquisition” of more land thing? Wouldn’t involve buying it from the landowners BDL, would it?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

The more and more I look into this, the more I become convinced that BDL will carry on making planning applications even if they lose this one.

They will eventually win, maybe this year, maybe in 5 years time, maybe in ten.

The only way local residents can win this is by convincing the shareholders of BDL that putting in an application is more trouble than its worth. And the only way to do that is to take the pressure personally to them where they live. e.g. demos, marches, leafleting their neighbours, ‘building’ popup cardboard cities on their owned greensites (i mean their front gardens) etc

They’re not going to go away. The planning laws are not going to protect brymbo forever.

Sam
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3480 wrote:

The more and more I look into this, the more I become convinced that BDL will carry on making planning applications even if they lose this one.

They will eventually win, maybe this year, maybe in 5 years time, maybe in ten.

The only way local residents can win this is by convincing the shareholders of BDL that putting in an application is more trouble than its worth. And the only way to do that is to take the pressure personally to them where they live. e.g. demos, marches, leafleting their neighbours, ‘building’ popup cardboard cities on their owned greensites (i mean their front gardens) etc

They’re not going to go away. The planning laws are not going to protect brymbo forever.

I agree Wayne, The BDL are just going to push, push, push for development. They don’t give a hoot about the community. If they get this, they’ll go after another bit of green land, because the presidence will be set by this case.

Then when that happens, Wrexham ‘may become’ a planning free for all. Housing could just pop up everywhere.

We feel so strong about our local development, but also in the back of our minds, the rest of Wrexham too.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Then someone needs to organise the locals into a more active opposition.

The locals need to understand they can’t win this unless there are at least ten or tewnty visits to Shrewsbury.

someone needs to get in contact with activists against hafod and learn from their mistakes.

Somebody needs to post on redpassion.co.uk because the football fans have the most experience against property developers.

Sam
    Participant

We are developing our plan of action.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sam
    Participant

We have been informed that this planning application may be going before the committee in March.

I’ve produced this YouTube video to highlight our plight.

Tanyfron, the future? – YouTube

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News