Calls for Wrexham to be turned into free Wi-Fi zone

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Calls for Wrexham to be turned into free Wi-Fi zone

• Author

Liam
    Participant

Cllr Arfon Jones is calling for Wrexham to be turned into Wales’ first free Wi-Fi town.

If a feasibility study shows that it’s possible do people think it would be a good idea?

Councillor Calls For Wrexham To Be Turned Into Free Wi-Fi Zone | Wrexham.com

KKOB
    Participant

I’m always a bit suspicious of any politician asking for or offering something for free. Somebody’s got to pay for it.

Jonesy
    Participant

Would support this, good to be able to know that wherever you sit down for food or drink that you could log on. Lots of “free” wifi can be poor in shops/pubs.

I do wonder if there is funding for this though!

As an aside could be an idea to have a section on wrex.com of where to log on at the moment when out and about in Wrexham? I only know of mcdonalds!

Liam
    Participant

I quite like that idea, will have to do a bit of research and try and create a page. I think most of them are “The Cloud” style zones where you have to be with a particular network or pay. Will see if we can track down any free ones though.

As for cost Cllr Jones suggested that the likes of Glyndwr, Yale and local businesses help support the infrastructure which could drive costs down. If the feasibility study is carried out it’ll hopefully ascertain whether it’s cost effective or not though.

Jones The Computer
    Participant

As the owner of an existing internet cafe, it annoys me when councillors use taxpayer’s money to provide something which is already being provided by business. Won’t this just be another Shopper Hopper – high startup cost, significant running costs and no-one using it! As KKOB says it’s never free, somebody has to pay for it.

Rob
    Participant

@Jonesy 1134 wrote:

As an aside could be an idea to have a section on wrex.com of where to log on at the moment when out and about in Wrexham? I only know of mcdonalds!

Good idea – will try and get the ball rolling on this , I will post a new thread to get ideas!

@Jones The Computer 1138 wrote:

As the owner of an existing internet cafe, it annoys me when councillors use taxpayer’s money to provide something which is already being provided by business. Won’t this just be another Shopper Hopper – high startup cost, significant running costs and no-one using it! As KKOB says it’s never free, somebody has to pay for it.

It will certainly be interesting to see the cost breakdown – if its ever made public!!

Rob
    Participant

I just asked on twitter where does free wifi and had a mammoth response so have put a list up on Where in Wrexham has Free Wifi? | Wrexham.com – any additions let us know!

j0nh
    Participant

Loads of places in wrecsam with free wifi, just another MP trying to get a back hander.

NJones
    Participant

He did say free Wi-Fi zone and not a Wi-Fi free zone didn’t he?

justjojo2011
    Participant

The idea is good, but my only concern with this is, it going to be limited to certains shops and cafes (a lot of which already do this, Cafe Nero being my favourite) or is this going to be the entire town centre cuz if its the latter, we’re going to have a lot of airheads buried even further into their phones.

… On the plus side, some fun to be had when watching them walk into lamp posts

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News