Budget Cuts for 2016

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Budget Cuts for 2016

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Can the ratepayers of Wrexham have any confidence in a Council who proclaim to be striving to safeguard essential services whilst continuing to finance a magazine that only promotes the Council. For a number of years now we have been told the Connect Magazine is being abolished, or it would only appear online and last year we were told they would just print just a few copies ! The reality is this year they have spent another £15,000 on it. Originally they were paying out £45,000 per year on publishing it. As our Councillors failed to cut out this frippery last year how can we be sure other such spending has not slipped through the net? How about putting the Council’s detailed accounts online ? Not the Finance Report set our each year where we are shown huge amounts of spending blocked together under general headings but the real month by month actual spending.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could it be time to link two topics together here? Councillors expenses and budget cuts? Councillors cost us £910,000 per year and they are asking us for our views on where to save money? Hmmmm let me think about that one for a minute…

wrexview
    Participant

Any new business faces set up costs and often trades for sometime before breaking even and making a profit. With this in mind perhaps the Council could publish their business plan for the proposed Pets Cemetery. Why when the Council is hiving off most of their services to Trusts are they seeking to set up a new enterprise?

woogleeye
    Participant

Council Cuts, the proposals made interesting reading but I have to say it came across like something smiling George does when he presents his budgets (gives a little bit with one hand but takes a hell of a lot more with the other hand),smoke and mirrors comes to mind.
    Yes we are in troubled times and as call me Dave has said “we are all in this together” which as we know is a total lie.
    But getting back on track the document shows proposals for this/that and the other which means sticking it to the council tax payer as much as possible and councillor Hugh John Jones says and I quote “we are asking the public to give us ideas that we have missed”.
    Well councillor what about the “privileged” (free parking) scheme that I assume is still in place for council staff surely now is the time that this should be removed for ever or is this such a sacred cow that it must never ever be brought to the table.
    And with regards to increasing the council tax again this time by 5% you must be having a laugh.

johnhoppy
    Participant

[quote quote=99924]Council Cuts, the proposals made interesting reading but I have to say it came across like something smiling George does when he presents his budgets (gives a little bit with one hand but takes a hell of a lot more with the other hand),smoke and mirrors comes to mind.
    Yes we are in troubled times and as call me Dave has said “we are all in this together” which as we know is a total lie.
    But getting back on track the document shows proposals for this/that and the other which means sticking it to the council tax payer as much as possible and councillor Hugh John Jones says and I quote “we are asking the public to give us ideas that we have missed”.
    Well councillor what about the “privileged” (free parking) scheme that I assume is still in place for council staff surely now is the time that this should be removed for ever or is this such a sacred cow that it must never ever be brought to the table.
    And with regards to increasing the council tax again this time by 5% you must be having a laugh.

[/quote]

They are indeed having a laugh proposing to increase Council Tax by 5%. Pensioners with index linked pensions will be fortunate to receive any sort of increase this year, and those in employment will be very fortunate to receive pay rises of anywhere near 5%. The council may be living in their own economic universe with its own inflation rate but the rest of us do not.

wrexview
    Participant

Woogleeye is right, the Guildhall car park remains closed to the public five days a week, the potential income lost runs into thousands per year. Again essential services are being cut to the bone when an asset is being under used . Why do the Council still allow this to happen ? Councillors legally would be allowed to claim their parking charges but perhaps some would appreciate that their generous salary would more than cover the extra expenditure!

D R
    Keymaster

[quote quote=99940]Woogleeye is right, the Guildhall car park remains closed to the public five days a week, the potential income lost runs into thousands per year. Again essential services are being cut to the bone when an asset is being under used . Why do the Council still allow this to happen ? Councillors legally would be allowed to claim their parking charges but perhaps some would appreciate that their generous salary would more than cover the extra expenditure!

[/quote]

Walked past Guildhall car park shortly before 1pm – very few cars parked in there!

woogleeye
    Participant

Just to clarify the “privileged” (free parking) relates also at Crown Buildings and The Peoples Market and not just the Guildhall.

wrexview
    Participant

So the loss of potential income is even larger than I thought !

locallad
    Participant

How about making wards bigger, then cutting the amount of elected members.Then stop paying the police for Pcsos. We already pay for them in our poll tax. that’s 2 ways to save a lot of money.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News