Budget 2018

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Budget 2018

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The rates rebate promised for the high street , a third reduction on rateable values below £51000 applies to England only. Will the Welsh Assembly match this rebate

AMA Express
    Participant

It’s going to make very little difference to businesses that are already struggling.

wrexview
    Participant

Doesn’t seem right that some Chester shops / restaurants will get up to an £8,000 per year rate reduction and no similar promised reduction here in Wrexham.

Council Watcher
    Participant

It wil make very little difference as many of the smaller independent shops alreadty receive various rebates- if you look at most of the announcments they all seemed to be England only- the £500million extra fior Wales seems totally dispropotionate to the England levels of spend.
    Sorry to upset the Wales Independence thinkers but with these types of settlement we would all be better off under a Westminster Government and part of a whole UK budget- either this or a toital revamp of the funding formula to Wales.

The North Wales Growth Deal looks good with all the investment but can someone tell me were the people are going to come from to fill the 5000+ new jobs being created- oh yes they will come from over the English border into North Wales as we do not have enough job hunting people to take advantage of the Growth Bid

Matt
    Participant

Coming over here taking our jobs! I’ve heard there’s a migrant caravan already heading from Tattenhall seeking to cross over into Wales across Farndon bridge.

Council Watcher
    Participant

I am certainly not against people from England coming over the border to work her as the number of Welsh people going the other way is aprox the same. The point I was making was that with growth when there is high unemployment means there is an immediate benefit to the local economy the more fluid the workforce the more spread out the economic benefits turn out to be. In this region we are actually very fortunate there are large populations in Liverpool, Manchester etc. that work in our area – without them many of the local business would not stay leaving big voids – look at SAeropace in Broughton , if 50% of their workforce is from England – if they didn’t come would the factory remain- highly unlikely.

My overall expectation is that there will be more economic migrants but with uncertainty over the turns of Brexit these are still uncertain so bottom line is where are all these new people coming from to fill the new jobs…

Alunh
    Participant

Ama Express and Council Watcher both suggest that a Rates concession would make little difference to businesses in Wrexham……for differing reasons. Not so

The Rates system is currently stifling business and forcing many into a stick or twist/bust calculation about their location. As an example, if you don’t wish to have a Rates Bill coming at you each month, you’ll locate your business on a small Secondary site with no Rates. There you’ll struggle for passing trade and capacity. Prospects=Not great. If you wish to take a massive risk, you’ll locate your business on the main street, pay the huge Bill…..and possibly see any potential profits drain away. A 3rd choice is to do what I’ve done. Find a medium sized unit near enough to the main street to be relevant, big enough to be viable…..and pay a Rates Bill, but one that is not as crippling as the main street.

Council Watcher mentions Rates Relief. I don’t get any. My Rates are too high and I don’t qualify. In England, even before the Budget, I would have had Relief. My Rates Bill is the biggest monthly payment I make and I don’t even get my Bins emptied (Sheefag moment opened up). If the Rates Bill could be lessened across the main street on most properties (as the Hammond proposal indicates), Businesses would be encouraged back onto the main streets with higher passing trade and might prosper. Might

Marvinuk
    Participant

Matt – Coming over here taking our jobs! I’ve heard there’s a migrant caravan already heading from Tattenhall seeking to cross over into Wales across Farndon bridge.

Maybe we could build a wall across Farndon Bridge.

Councillor X
    Participant

Matt – Coming over here taking our jobs! I’ve heard there’s a migrant caravan already heading from Tattenhall seeking to cross over into Wales across Farndon bridge.

Matt, sounds like you are suffering from a touch xenophobia there my learned friend.

Matt
    Participant

Marvin – Make North Wales Great Again! It was my understanding the bridge was closed to vehicle traffic and restricted access to pedestrians and cyclists for months but they got it fixed ahead of schedule in time for the influx. THE WALL WILL BRING JOBS TO WELSH QUARRY WORKERS.

X – yes, it’s a red cap for me all the way. I’ll refrain from threatening any caravans (migrant or holiday homes) for the time being. I’m looking to do more, do you know if Top Management has any tips?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News