Brymbo steelworks site.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Brymbo steelworks site.

• Author

Sam
    Participant

Well as you may of heard, we lost the long fought battle to save our field against development.
    I’m not going to beat around the bush, it was a farce for anyone there.
    Blatant blackmail, tying two applications together, impartial people with very partial views etc, etc, you follow my theme.
    Anyway, has anyone else noticed the plans being displayed tomorrow in Ruabon contain the same promises that the developers promised Brymbo 20years ago ?
    300 homes, retail & light industry !

We’ll soon be hitting 800 homes & no improvements of infrastructure up here soon.
    Some people, even too this day, believe a school, shops & a supermarket is going to be built as soon as the spine road is (if it’s ever) completed.

Chris
    Participant

Wrexham planners are scared of large scale developers.

zinger
    Participant

Sam, it is disgraceful. The spine road should be built before one single extra house is built. Developers run all over the council. They make promises that they have no intention of keeping but then the council are in it too deep & are too afraid to stand up for what was promised.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Sam, I really hoped the council would be sensible on this one. If the road was going to be built it should have been built in the first phase. It wasn’t and I seriously doubt that it ever will be. Another false promise from a developer only interested in lining their own pockets and no help from a council in too deep to dig themselves out. It would take a very strong minded person to admit the council made a mistake and try to rectify it now. We don’t seem to have any in our councillors mores the pity.

Sam
    Participant

Zinger, actually on the evening of the planning application going before the committee at the guildhall. One of the members proposed that the spine road was built before a brick was laid on the application site.
    That would be a sensible option.
    But after the head planning officer, David Williams defiantly saying the BDL had no money to build it, I’m afraid it was voted against, therefore they let the original application go ahead and passed it anyway.

Welsh Dresser, the WCBC’s solicitor (present at the planning meeting) had drawn up a bond, an insurance policy between the BDL & WCBC which ensures funds for the completion of the spine road in the future should anything go wrong.
    When such a document has the basic flaw of it not even being index linked (this is just a single flaw of many in my opinion), you tend to not have faith in such an arrangement.
    But, if you listen to the cllrs, it will never come into effect, the spine road will be made without a hiccup.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I shall not hold my breath Sam for fear of turning blue! The area needs the spine road and the promised school, supermarket etc but promises are easily broken. If BDL don’t have the funds to build the road how are they going to build the houses or am I missing something?

zinger
    Participant

So what makes anyone think that there will be any money after building more houses. The infrastructure should be put in place first. Like WD it makes me very angry that the planning committee are so gullible. These people are running our town. I often think that anyone who wants to be a councillor should be self employed with and have successfully run a small business first. It makes you count every penny spent.

Sam
    Participant

The BDL sells the land with detailed planning permission to a developer / builder. They then build the houses. The BDL must complete the spine road before 80% occupancy.

Interestingly, in a WCBC question & answer session on Twitter yesterday, a cllr speaking about Schools & education told the public that the new Brymbo estate school would be a diocese funded faith establishment, with an unknown timescale to it’s building.

Sam
    Participant

Your right zinger regarding money, they supposedly didn’t create enough funds from the existing 500 house development, so why should we believe 70 extra houses (as per planning application) is going to do it !
    The trouble is, the WCBC messed up initially when they didn’t insist on the spine road being built years ago, so now, they’re clutching at very trusting, feeble straws.
    I hope for everyone’s sake it comes off with no funding from the WCBC in the long run, but, if the spine road is to be built, I cannot see that happening. Everyone will have to pay ultimately.
    The only spine in this whole saga is contained within the documentation, there’s none anywhere else!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News