Brook Street Development

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Brook Street Development

• Author

zinger
    Participant

I see that the development of student flats on this already busy street is to go ahead. I do hope that WCBC will monitor the situation closely to keep the disruption to a minimum for the existing small businesses on this street. There appears to be 100% occupancy on Brook Street largely due, I would think, to the short term parking outside the shops. I hope that this new development will not spoil this mix of (some of them very long standing) businesses.

Born Acorn
    Participant

There’s nothing about changed parking on the planning application (P/2013/0419), in fact the student flats will have its own underground parking with 50+ spaces!

zinger
    Participant

I worked opposite the old Veg Market when they decided to spoil the town & you wouldn’t believe the disruption, loss of sales & dirt & dust in a pedestrianised area. I feel so sorry for those small businesses. We didn’t survive.

NJones
    Participant

Reading todays town centre forum round up, signs have today gone up to sell the former Scotts nightclub with planning for student flats. How viable is this when the uni in Wrexham has falling student numbers and one hall of residence has been unused for the past two years?

wrexview
    Participant

Which Hall is that? Is it Snowden Hall on Town Hill , they are advertising rooms to let on the advertising pillars around town .

NJones
    Participant

@wrexview 14389 wrote:

Which Hall is that? Is it Snowden Hall on Town Hill , they are advertising rooms to let on the advertising pillars around town .

Plas Coch hostel as it was known on the roundabout by Sainsburys.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Student accommodation surplus is common in a lot of University Towns due to more students living at home or with relatives to keep the costs down.
    the Health Board had a large number of units at Snowden Hall for some time when they housed the nurses from the Philippines.
    The extent of ‘spare’ student accommodation is also distorted as many properties that had previously been used for this purpose are now occupied by the many migrant workers in the town. Without the migrant workers many of the people who invested in Buy to Let properties would be financially disadvantaged with emty property.

wrexview
    Participant

Is there some structural fault with the Plas Coch Hall or just surplus to requirements?

danofthewibble
    Participant

I used to live in there; it’s was very old fashioned internally even a decade ago, and not really fit for purpose these days. It’s not unused either; it’s a gallery now, not accommodation.

NJones
    Participant

They were refurbished a few years ago after international students had used the building for accommodation for many years. They have sat empty since. A few of the rooms on the ground floor are sued to store books known as the Gladstone library, but the rest of the building remains unused. There are no structural issues. When an organization requires income, why does an accommodation block with around 30 rooms remain unused?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News