BREXIT Street Party

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum BREXIT Street Party

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Mark Drakeford has just made this statement on twitter also referencing the attacks and shared another comment stating that terror and violence has no place in our society. Is he also shamelessly seizing upon a terrorist atrocity on the other side of the world, for personal political gain?

How about Theresa May? I mean it is on the other side of the world, why should we care?

Sheefag
    Participant

How many far right MPs sit in Parliament? None.
    How many AFD MPs sit in the German Parliament? 94.

We are perpetually hectored by the left on how the UK is a racist, fascist hellhole and yet studies constantly reinforce that the UK is and remains one of the most inclusive and tolerant countries in the world.

As a first generation British citizen born of immigrant parents, this is my experience also.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=165333]How many far right MPs sit in Parliament? None.
    How many AFD MPs sit in the German Parliament? 94.

We are perpetually hectored by the left on how the UK is a racist, fascist hellhole and yet studies constantly reinforce that the UK is and remains one of the most inclusive and tolerant countries in the world.

As a first generation British citizen born of immigrant parents, this is my experience also.

[/quote]

Anecdotal evidence.

Sheefag
    Participant

Really?

Try this then.

https://www.prosperity.com/rankings

Matt
    Participant

Okay – I will.

Personal Freedom – The Personal Freedom Pillar measures national progress towards basic legal rights, individual freedoms and social tolerance.

UK ranked 18th worldwide – seems to be below a number of EU countries – Luxembourg, Ireland, Portugal, Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Malta, Denmark and Spain.

You send me to a data analysis tool, I sort the data based on the nearest match – which lumps social tolerance under Personal Freedom and popular media outlets are taking the entire Personal Freedom ranking to be indicative of how tolerant a country is. The UK falls somewhat short of certain EU locations, but if I want to be objective it ranks 11th out of 27 EU countries, which makes it not at all bad and therefore well placed amongst its peers.

What information was it you wanted to show me?

Noted that Legatum are a right-wing think tank ran by Conservative Peer Baroness Philippa Stroud who have courted controversy in the past over trying to push for a hard Brexit and then continued to make some notoriously absurd claims about how to deal with the Irish border including unmanned aerial drones that were met with widespread ridicule. This to the point that they had to knock any further Brexit analysis on the head in 2018.

Matt
    Participant

Here is the comparative European Data:

Data

Sheefag
    Participant

You just don’t get it Matt, We can both trot out statistics that support our psoitions but as someone who genuinely loves this country for all of its faults, I’m always left with a few questions.

If it’s so awful here, why do people cross seas and mountains, travel through civilised countries and live rough in Northern France ot get here?

Why do people who have grown up and clearly despise the country and particulaly living here never leave?

I’ve travelled, lived and worked in other countries and this remains one of the very best in the world.

Matt
    Participant

I love this country as well and accept that those who have very extreme views are in a minority in terms of society as a whole.

However, the point still stands that there is a growing concern over the level of extreme right wing activity online RE: Brexit. Just look at this dickhead who threatened Ian Lucas by being shot for treason as he was unhappy with a democratic vote.

Horton

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=165349]You just don’t get it Matt, We can both trot out statistics that support our psoitions but as someone who genuinely loves this country for all of its faults, I’m always left with a few questions.

If it’s so awful here, why do people cross seas and mountains, travel through civilised countries and live rough in Northern France ot get here?

Why do people who have grown up and clearly despise the country and particulaly living here never leave?

I’ve travelled, lived and worked in other countries and this remains one of the very best in the world.[/quote]

Being critical of right wing views or groups in the UK does not mean that people despise the UK. The UK has all sorts of positive qualities but that doesn’t mean that unpleasant things don’t exist here too. I don’t understand why the existence of such groups and views in the UK should not be pointed out and why anyone would want to deny that they exist here.

Sheefag
    Participant

Matt, picking some local nutter off Twitter who makes poor rhetorical posts, doesn’t equate to a fascist state.

bubble, I have no problem at all with people criticising right wing loonies, the point is the deliberate hysteria such as Matts post above and the implication that they are taking over the country.

People won’t vote for them in this country, they never have and they never will however certain parts of mainland Europe undeniably have form in this area.

If you listen to Matt and his chums, you can’t even get into Wetherspoons for the Waffen SS.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News