Borough Tourism

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Borough Tourism

• Author

feedshallow
    Participant

@gogledd 11234 wrote:

Didn’t you know… we’re taking over the World!!

Give the right promotion Wrexham could definitely be a MTB/cycling tourists hub. And after all they do spend money

The it’s time for all right minded motorists to get a nice set of bull-bars fitted and rid the roads of the unwashed, untaxed, uninsured, smug, law breaking, bad manered louts who hide under the name of ‘cyclists’.

wxm
    Participant

Searching “Wrexham Tourism Strategy” on the web brings up many documents, and committee reports, that set out how tourism should be developed and run.

The WCBC document that sets out the Wrexham Hotel as Priority One, sets out a strategy for decades. Such a strategy has to be followed for decades if it is to work, and all the other documents and reports are just costly duplication.

gogledd
    Participant

@feedshallow 11237 wrote:

The it’s time for all right minded motorists to get a nice set of bull-bars fitted and rid the roads of the unwashed, untaxed, uninsured, smug, law breaking, bad manered louts who hide under the name of ‘cyclists’.

Wow! I think someone has anger issues!

To be fair there are some cyclists who do give the rest of us a poor image but there are lots of vehicle drivers who could do with a few lessons in good road manners too. PS I pay Vehicle Emissions Duty on 2 vehicles, my bike doesn’t emit any pollution so would be zero-rated anyway, I do pay insurance and I respect other road users and abide by the law. I certainly wouldn’t advocate any cyclist trying to cause damage to another road user.

Back on topic – anyone else think that Wrexham would be a good hub for cycling or other sports?

Red
    Participant

Wrexham in many ways can be seen as a gateway into inner North Wales, with tourists passing through to access places such as Llangollen then on into Snowdonia, the coast. The challenge may well be how to capture and direct the flow of traffic into Wrexham based destinations and spending their tourist money into the local economy.

There are many fantastic attractions, sporting, heritage and natural in the area that are perhaps undervalued and under-promoted. It is a challenge, as the mentality (rightly or wrongly) can sometimes be “I don’t want all these tourists clogging up our roads and spoiling our hidden secrets” – and, maybe selfishly of me, I do sympathize with this viewpoint. However there are several sites that could be promoted better by the Council and other agencies, and I would suggest the best place to begin in this consultation process would be by asking the people who know best – the residents of Wrexham.

zinger
    Participant

Apart from a town trail we could have industrial links to the Mines Rescue Station, Bersham Colliery, Dennis Brickworks, Bersham Ironworks, Bersham Schoolroom, Brymbo Steelworks, Minera Lead Lines, Glyn Valley Tramway, Llangollen Railway etc, The heritage parks such as Acton Park, Bellevue, Bonc yr Hafod, Ponciau Banks, Alyn Waters, Nant Mill, Ty Mawr etc. A War Memorial trail, A famous person trail could be linked in with the others. Give all of them their full historical links. Wilkinson, Dennis, Kyrke, Lowe etc. I didn’t that Oliver Cromwell’s brother in law lived in Wrexham. Hafod y Bwlch, Erddig, Chirk Castle, Roseneath. etc. Telford did it with Ironbridge & a passport scheme.

jamesbwxm
    Participant

@feedshallow 11237 wrote:

You have some deeply unpleasant issues going on.

MP1953
    Participant

@gogledd 11244 wrote:

Wow! I think someone has anger issues!

To be fair there are some cyclists who do give the rest of us a poor image but there are lots of vehicle drivers who could do with a few lessons in good road manners too. PS I pay Vehicle Emissions Duty on 2 vehicles, my bike doesn’t emit any pollution so would be zero-rated anyway, I do pay insurance and I respect other road users and abide by the law. I certainly wouldn’t advocate any cyclist trying to cause damage to another road user.

Back on topic – anyone else think that Wrexham would be a good hub for cycling or other sports?

There are cycle lanes in Wrexham, admittedly not all joined up but how many cyclists use them? I get the impression they would rather ride 2 or three abreast on the road..

gogledd
    Participant

@MP1953 11250 wrote:

There are cycle lanes in Wrexham, admittedly not all joined up but how many cyclists use them? I get the impression they would rather ride 2 or three abreast on the road..

Your right, there are cycle lanes in Wrexham, some of them are well located, but many are not. Well engineered cycle lanes will get used – for example the cycle lane leading down Madera Hill and leading on toward Hill Street – cyclists are totally separated from other traffic and such lanes are safe and cyclists would used them to avoid cycling in heavy traffic.
    Others, however have been painted on the road to obtain grants, but with little though about the practicalities of using them. Cycle lanes are often right in the gutter, with drains and uneven surfaces. The lane is close to the nearside and reduces the visibility of the cyclist to other road users, If they are shared paths a cyclist has to give way at every crossing – not much use if your trying to make reasonable progress.

So cycle lanes are there and I would use them if it affords a better route than using a road with heavy traffic. However, under the highway code there is no compulsion to use them, and I would chose not to if the cycle lane actually puts me in a worse road position. Cycling two abreast isn’t illegal either, but I appreciate it can be bad manners to block the road for other users. Certainly the group I cycle with use single file to allow traffic to pass.

Again the thread is getting side-tracked into the shared use of our roads. I am happy to discuss these issues but perhaps we should start a separate thread?

Back to tourism – and cycle tourism – what happened to the buses with bikeracks on the back?

gogledd
    Participant

Zinger – the Passport scheme is a really good idea which could be expanded to the many heritage centres you mentioned.

zinger
    Participant

We could also add a heritage Pub trail. No new pubs unless located in old buildings. If they have been a change of usage that;s allowed too as long as you can get a cold drink alcoholic or not. ;-)

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News