Body care relocating

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Body care relocating

• Author

MadMan
    Participant

Wrexham town centre is not attractive simply because many retail units are empty and the town is attracting many undesirables both day and night. I don’t blame people going elsewhere to shop and drink because there is no point in being depressed just to support the town.

All I seem to hear from the police is we have shut down cannabis factories, yet many people round town are using much harder drugs, I don’t want to be grabbed hold of and asked if I want coke, I just want to enjoy the drink in my hand. It is about time the police focused more on these type of substances.

Suggestions:
    Build the town centre from scratch.
    Beautify the street pavements to my standards
    Send the undesirables to Chester
    Keep boozers open 24 hours so you don’t notice the problems with the town centre

I hope to God Wrexham has a bright future, but recent history hardly fills me with confidence.

Alunh
    Participant

I very much agree with some of the points expressed by Adam about having a coherent plan for the town, locking together the components and disregarding the idea of housing.

Adam is quite right that core purchasing has now gone to the periphery of the town and online. The periphery is actually a major pull into Wrexham, especially from the villages and there is no other reason for the large number of peripheral supermarkets than they anticipate demand. I suppose the same can be said for Eagles Meadow and despite the considerable anecdotal commentary that is made on here, the multiples have generally moved to Eagles Meadow and not (yet) away from it. I wish Eagles Meadow well.

I don’t like the Housing idea firstly because the gaps in the shops show no absolutely consistent pattern and we seem to have pockets of gaps at present. Once residential development starts within any given area, as night follows day, that will cease to be a viable commercial area. That said, within the type of framework suggested by both WXM and Adam, it might be appropriate to surrender some areas in terms of retail.

Adam rightly mentions niches and it is niche development that will revive any town. Niches will attract Tourists and punters from many out of town locations and we already have a considerable number of businesses that serve as niche service and retail providers. Niche development has to be Independent led and the Markets provide one breeding ground for their development. Streets like Henblas Street, King Street, Charles Street, High Street, Bank Street, Lord Street and Brook Street still retain a large number of niche operators and this could and should be far higher.

There are two key elements that I would want to see in any plan for the town’s development. Firstly, Rating adjustments. Secondly, Locking strategies. Hope Street, Queen Street and Regent Street no longer represent the area where core purchasing occurs. Re-rate them and soon (whilst re-rating all businesses downwards). To lock the town together physically and psychologically, there needs to be real efforts made to encourage people to visit and move around. The recent Coach Parking initiative is encouraging, the Car Parking price hikes are not. The Heritage trail is very encouraging, the lack of real sexy signing around the town is not. Even the fact that we locate our puny Tourist Information Centre in the heart of the old town rather than where Tourists might disembark, and locate our Shop Mobility by a bus station (and not Car Parks) indicates how little we want to meet and greet out of Town Tourists and Shoppers. We can do better than this

99DylanJones
    Participant

The location of Shopmobility is an interesting idea- the current location in the Bus Station can cater for bus passengers or u to about 6 people who come by car. It would be interesting to see the statistics (if they are collected) which show how people arrive at Shopmobility. If more come by car then location should be by a car park if it is buses they should stay.

Rondetto
    Participant

The butchers in bank street are downsizing too. The unit they used for pies and sandwiches is now up for rent. I can only think it’s to economise.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Goodness me, this thread started off at the sublime but has degenerated to the ridiculous.
    Dylan, we are talking ( in your words) of about 6 people using Shopmobility – hardly a number that is likely to have a staggering affect on the profitability of town centre businesses. And which car park(s) would you suggest? One, two or all of them? From my experience and observations, many blue badge holders park where they damn well like anyway.
    Rondetto, so the butchers are closing the pie and sandwich bar – your conclusion ‘to economise’. I could think of a number of reasons (but then I would be guessing too) why they have decided to shut up shop. Pure conjecture it seems, without substance or foundation.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 13404 wrote:

Goodness me, this thread started off at the sublime but has degenerated to the ridiculous.
    Dylan, we are talking ( in your words) of about 6 people using Shopmobility – hardly a number that is likely to have a staggering affect on the profitability of town centre businesses. And which car park(s) would you suggest? One, two or all of them? From my experience and observations, many blue badge holders park where they damn well like anyway.
    Rondetto, so the butchers are closing the pie and sandwich bar – your conclusion ‘to economise’. I could think of a number of reasons (but then I would be guessing too) why they have decided to shut up shop. Pure conjecture it seems, without substance or foundation.

Don’t quite know what is ridiculous about the way this thread has gone. All I see is a range of interesting points. The Shop Mobility point that Dylan has responded to is actually very important Benjamin though your response is rather tasteless and dismissive. When I go to shop in various towns I always look for the Shop Mobility signs because there will be wheelchairs available for those who are unfortunate enough to be disabled. Some towns designate a good sized area adjacent to the town for Car Parkers to use for this purpose, Wrexham does not (though there is a small allocation by the Bus Station).

Disability is a problem and it encompasses many many people who are immobile by degree. Your comments about blue badge holders I find personally offensive and this crude comment is what I call conjecture.

Clearly the point being made is that Wrexham could spend a little more time and effort providing a facility for the disabled and position it with convenience for the disabled at the heart of the location. Whilst the Bus Station might have been logical at one time, it is not any more.

Alunh
    Participant

……….on this question…….the disability issue deserves a thread of its own. For the sake of this post, I would merely state the obvious. Disabled people are Shoppers, Tourists and Customers too. Those towns that provide facilities conducive to an easy shop for the disabled will reap the rewards.

All Car Parks should possess designated Disabled Parking areas and abuse of such should be policed. The town of Wrexham should, however, revisit the current location of its Shop Mobility site because it is out of step with the current configuration of the town

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 13402 wrote:

The butchers in bank street are downsizing too. The unit they used for pies and sandwiches is now up for rent. I can only think it’s to economise.

Hi Rondetto. An obvious and correct conclusion. Why anyone would want to actually make something of your comment defies logic.

wxm
    Participant

The GVA / GDP for Wrexham per head as a percentage of UK average in 1997 was 99.4% … in 2011 was 85.4% … a drop of 14%

Alunh
    Participant

@99DylanJones 13401 wrote:

The location of Shopmobility is an interesting idea- the current location in the Bus Station can cater for bus passengers or u to about 6 people who come by car. It would be interesting to see the statistics (if they are collected) which show how people arrive at Shopmobility. If more come by car then location should be by a car park if it is buses they should stay.

I don’t use the 6 spaces in Wrexham for 2 reasons. Location and the risk that the very limited spaces are full. There are many towns across the North West that we never bother going to the Shop Mobility centre for similar/same reasons.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News