Body care relocating

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Body care relocating

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Footfall figures in isolation mean very little unless you look at the changes in very specific locations to map the change in footfall flow.
    The flow around town is critical for any of the national shops (and independents should also use the information) as it will determine potential development sites. Clearly roads like Henblas Street have seen a significant cut in footfall since TJ Hughes closed.
    How long will it be before the Post Office moves into another shop in line with their national programme to close stand alone Post Offices.
    I’m sorry to be so negative but yiu only need to read varusos retail/business analysis reports to see how fragile a number of buinesses are at the mkoment–
    CoOp Bank Lorad Stree–
    CoOp Travle Lord Street
    First Choice and Thompson – both the same company — one is company run one is franchise.
    Waterstones lease is apparently ending before the end of the year — will they relocate or leave the town.
    Pop up shop in the old Boots – what will happen when rates and landlord rentals start to be imposed.
    More charity shops — another opened this week in Regent Street (15 now in town imagine the gap if they all left?)
    Cafe – there are 31 establishments doing sandwiches as either take away or cafe– lower footfall – reduced sales – more closures
    Estate Agents — King Street could see the largest change as more and more people move to on line info for their house search.

The opportunity for all of these is that properties are converted to residential to pull more people into town seven days a week provided they do not become benefits havens for those who are out of work.

I note that in the report ion the Town Centre Forum there is no mention of what the Council are doing with the Vibrant and Viable Funding — where is the engagement with businesses.

Alunh
    Participant

@darryl 13308 wrote:

We popped along to the town centre forum meeting earlier today (reports up in the morning) and car parking / footfall was a bit of a hot topic.

Owner of Eagles Meadow Kevin Critchley mentioned the footfall counters for Eagles Meadow and it was quite interesting to hear where people were entering the centre from. He pointed out that footfall was up in Debenhams and Next, which is presumably people using the entrances at the rear of the shops as an entrance.

The footfall counter that he said was more noticeably down was the bridge on Yorke Street, with not as much footfall coming in from the town centre.

These are vital observations and give a more fine tuned view of what is happening in the town itself (if accurate). The danger was always going to be that Eagles Meadow would become, like the Cheshire Oaks, ‘independent’ of the town. Eagles Meadow could be a great plus to the town if it was ‘locked’ into the town by various strategies. Unfortunately, the recent Car Parking policy is encouraging shoppers to use Tesco, Home Bargains, Colour Supplies (et al). This has produced the opposite effect that the independent traders hope for. Check out Henblas Street if you want to see the effects of various factors and forces

MP1953
    Participant

Most topics and comments on this forum are trying to come up with positive suggestions and ideas to bring Wrexham back from the brink as I and many see it, but unless the Council and most see it as the Council who have caused the decline in Wrexham, change their thinking then I see it as a lost cause, and the car parking issue is the first that should be addressed.

It has been mentioned before that the 3 hour free parking right in the center of Prestatyn has transformed the town there from what Wrexham is now, into a busy little place, compare that to after 3pm free parking in Wrexham what a joke.

Rondetto
    Participant

I agree with that statement, one major problem is that we don’t have anyone on the council with a mind for business.

jimbow
    Participant

@Rondetto 13321, one major problem is that we don’t have anyone on the council with a mind for business.[/QUOTE wrote:

Reading the report on Wrexham.com from the Scrutiny Committee on How to proceed with the review of services delivered in Wrexham Town Centre.
    A group of four Councillors were keen to progress the work to a task and finish group.It was proposed and voted on.Three councillors voted in favour,one voted against,and roughly EIGHT others ABSTAINED.This discussion then petered out.How on earth is anybody going to get their ideas across to a Council representative that has not got the bottle TO VOTE.

Adam
    Participant

@MP1953 13320 wrote:

Most topics and comments on this forum are trying to come up with positive suggestions and ideas to bring Wrexham back from the brink as I and many see it, but unless the Council and most see it as the Council who have caused the decline in Wrexham, change their thinking then I see it as a lost cause, and the car parking issue is the first that should be addressed.

Agreed although I’m yet to be completely convinced that slashing parking charges tomorrow would have a noticeable effect.

Yesterday’s committee meeting notes from Wrexham.com sound very much like the familiar group of councillors and officers stubbornly denying the decline they have presided over. Whilst dismissing others as treacherous doom-mongers.

Simply put, the decline will continue as long as they do…

johnhoppy
    Participant

I notice from the report of the committee meeting that they also considering closing all the toilets in town with the exception to those at the bus station, and also charging for their use. I appreciate that charging for the use of public toilets is commonplace, but surely this is not the way forward if we are to attract custom to the town.

Rondetto
    Participant

Another nail in the coffin if that goes ahead. It’s vital to visitors to the town that we maintain and provide toilets.

MP1953
    Participant

@Rondetto 13330 wrote:

Another nail in the coffin if that goes ahead. It’s vital to visitors to the town that we maintain and provide toilets.

AGREED
    To quote not sure who now :confused: “THEY JUST DON’T GET IT” :rolleyes:

99DylanJones
    Participant

The Councillors abstaining should be ashamed – they are just ducking issues and playing party politics. It is clear that Wrexham Town Centre does not have any Council Members with passion – the closure of facilities to save money is only going to increase the unfriendly nature of the area.
    There are so few people living in the town centre that there is no voting power to be captured. If there were more residents then all the Council Members would be chasing the vote.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News