"Bloody Old Fool!"

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum "Bloody Old Fool!"

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

So Councillor Morris has written to a person who lives in his ward to say sorry for being caught calling him a “bloody old fool”! It reminds me of Gordon Brown getting caught calling a Labour supporter a ‘bigoted woman’

If Michael can say that knowing there are cameras. what snidey comments does he make off-camera?

Councillor Morris should visit the gent and apologise to his face (whether he means it or not) or fall on his sword and quit.

Something similar happened to me in Wetherspoons where I was caught in the background of someone’s facetime where I called the person a “lazy git who doesn’t want a job”. When I saw him next time I bought him a pint and told him that I still think he is a lazy git and he agreed.

WrexhamUser
    Participant

My concern is not so much as what was said, but how the council have dealt with it. I always thought that going back to official recordings, film footage of events, and photographs of things later considered politically questionable, and subsequently amending and deleting parts of them to make it wholly acceptable to those in power was only used during the era of Stalin’s tyranny in the Soviet Union.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=166825]My concern is not so much as what was said, but how the council have dealt with it. I always thought that going back to official recordings, film footage of events, and photographs of things later considered politically questionable, and subsequently amending and deleting parts of them to make it wholly acceptable to those in power was only used during the era of Stalin’s tyranny in the Soviet Union.[/quote]

There is significant concern that the Council’s records and transparency of meetings is only of a transparent and complete nature when it spins the councillors and council in a positive light. Any bad disappears. Conveniently revisionist history is in play here – which I am loathe to draw this often overly used comparison – is very Orwellian in nature.

It was like the time the Kingdom – Zero Tolerance meeting was referenced as justification for the actions of Kingdom against the public in Wrexham. Then conveniently written meeting records contained no reference to zero tolerance in them and nobody could gain access to the video records of the meeting despite a number of FOI requests. It’s beggar belief that in this age of social media and open council meetings that they think nobody is going to want to refer back and fact check to make sure that everything is accurate.

The Councillor Objectionable Mental Health Comments video has now also conveniently expired:

Training to be offered to councillors after ‘disturbing’ planning committee comments

Transportuser
    Participant

It’s completely wrong that history is being rewritten.
    He said it and should live with the fact it was in the public domain.
    It makes you wonder who is really the “Bloody Old Fool!”

Councillor X
    Participant

It wasn’t too long ago that Jeremy Corbyn denied calling Theresa May a ‘stupid woman’ so you would think that Councillors would be able to hold their tongues.

That reminds me of a time I was in a pub (not Wethers) and I told a rather rude man to hold his tongue and he DID! For over ten minutes until I explained that it was a figure of speech but then I had to explain what a ‘figure of speech’ was.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=166845]
    That reminds me of a time I was in a pub (not Wethers) and I told a rather rude man to hold his tongue and he DID! [/quote]

Was it the Horse and Jockey? #PubGuessingGame

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The job of a councillor is to represent all their constituents; there is no requirement for them to be polite about them, polite to them or even agree with them. Although it does help to win votes. If people don’t like Cllr Morris, they can stand against him or vote for someone else at the next council election. He is quite entitled to call someone an ‘old fool’ if he wishes; it may not be nice, it may be an inaccurate summing up of his constituent’s character or it might be dead on. Generally I wouldn’t recommend quoting Magna Carta, it is a much misunderstood document. I would prefer Councillors to be honest rather than constantly looking over their shoulder or checking the microphones to see who is listening.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=166846]

That reminds me of a time I was in a pub (not Wethers) and I told a rather rude man to hold his tongue and he DID!

Was it the Horse and Jockey? #PubGuessingGame[/quote]

Matt it was …. NOT … the Horse and Jockey?

and in the spirit of Ioan y Ffin, you bloody old fool Matt!

No freeman shall be taken, or imprisoned, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any way harmed, nor will we go upon him nor will we send upon him, except by the legal judgement of his peers or by the law of the land. To none will we sell, to none deny or delay, right or justice.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News