Best and Worst Changes Around Town?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Best and Worst Changes Around Town?

• Author

Rob
    Participant

I was talking this evening with someone about the best and worst changes they have seen around town , and they settled on the bypass due to it increasing links and therefore jobs.

To open it out to the forum here, whats been the best and worst changes to you over the years for the town?

I am sure some can give some longer perspective than some – but it would be an interesting contrast between those who have spent a long time in town and those who are new !

So over to you…

Mike
    Participant

Though they’re not exactly ‘in town’ the solar panels at least aesthetically are a bit weird to get used to. I know lots of councillors back the decision to get them, which is fine, but they change the landscape considerably for some areas (like Queensway) that have remained more or less the same for years.

Mike
    Participant

Another change (for the worse) = ramps everywhere. They serve a purpose but don’t put them in places they’re not needed.

For the better, I think the expansion of Glyndwr has been good. It’s brought more jobs, more buzz, more students and money to the town :cool:

Mike Davies
    Participant

Poorly planned new shopping centre – Eagles Meadow, which has ripped the heart out of the town centre. Many existing business relocated e.g. M&S, Boots, etc. leaving the old town centre even more deserted and derelict than before.

Poor road layouts throughout town area leading to more traffic congestion.

ScooterSharon
    Participant

The worst changes to Wrexham are the number of shops that have closed. Wrexham used to have a thriving town centre with visitors coming from all over the country especially to our market but the council put paid to that.

With regards to ramps, there are not enough of them! I am disabled and have to use a wheelchair or scooter to get around. There are still some shops and areas in Wrexham that I can not get to because they don’t have ramps and staff are not too happy to bring items outside for me to look at before wanting to purchase. This means I either need a carer with me or not bother shopping in Wrexham and instead shop online. I know which I would prefer.

Mike
    Participant

@ScooterSharon 848 wrote:

With regards to ramps, there are not enough of them! I am disabled and have to use a wheelchair or scooter to get around. There are still some shops and areas in Wrexham that I can not get to because they don’t have ramps and staff are not too happy to bring items outside for me to look at before wanting to purchase. This means I either need a carer with me or not bother shopping in Wrexham and instead shop online. I know which I would prefer.

Sorry! I meant ramps on the roads. No problem with ramps/disabled access, everyone should have the means to get around and get to where they want to without hindrance as far as I’m concerned.

Mike Davies
    Participant

@Mike 851 wrote:

Sorry! I meant ramps on the roads. No problem with ramps/disabled access, everyone should have the means to get around and get to where they want to without hindrance as far as I’m concerned.

That’s how I read it too

ScooterSharon
    Participant

I have a problem with the humps in the road. They tend to hurt my back and they are in some of the most stupid places to be. Don’t object to them slowing down traffic around schools as that is needed but some places they have put them I can’t comprehend what they are supposed to do as I often see people speed up between them so they cause more of a hazard.:)

Rob
    Participant

The ones outside St Josephs / Sontly Road are pretty bad, and I realise why they are there, but I wonder what those who strived to make flat wonderful roads would make of mini walls being placed on the surfaces!

It also knackers your tyres / suspension!

Robotnik
    Participant

I used to live in Penycae and had to go over 16 sets of the things each way to and from work.

I was advised by a garage to drive one wheel on, one wheel off on alternate sides, slowly obviously. Apparently, when you drive over the middle of some of them, the sloping sides causes the wheels to pull apart slightly, causing strain on suspension bushes and wishbones. I had to replace both sides on a Peugeot I had. Maybe coincidence?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News