benefits

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum benefits

• Author

weasel
    Participant

I see 50,000 more to be let in to Brittain…I assume that means we’re gonna fork out for hundreds of thousands more for benefits…..Or maybe some are gonna take our jobs, when there aren’t enough for our own people….GOOD ONE…I knew the country would come to a standstill with a DAVID running the country……

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@weasel 3279 wrote:

I see 50,000 more to be let in to Brittain…I assume that means we’re gonna fork out for hundreds of thousands more for benefits…..Or maybe some are gonna take our jobs, when there aren’t enough for our own people….GOOD ONE…I knew the country would come to a standstill with a DAVID running the country……

how many immigrants are on benefits now?

and how many immigrants are in the uk?

Sam
    Participant

@weasel 3279 wrote:

What about the 3rd generation of Native claimants ?

This problem was originally home grown decades ago.

KKOB
    Participant

How many UK expats are living abroad and still claim benefits from the UK ?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

my favourite one is that the 1 million british oaps living in spain are eligible for the UK winter fuel payment … (that’s a cost of 200m)

Paul Lewis Money: CLAIMING WINTER FUEL PAYMENT ABROAD

JanW
    Participant

Published in April 2012 by DWP. I think this is the tip of the iceburg.

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Iain Duncan Smith said:

“We are determined to clamp down on benefit fraud abroad, which cost the British taxpayer around £43 million last year. This money should be going to the people who need it most and not lining the pockets of criminals sunning themselves overseas.

“The vast majority of British people overseas are law abiding, but fraudulently claiming benefits while living abroad is a crime and we are committed to putting a stop to it.”

Since its launch in 2008, over 750 calls to the Spanish hotline have resulted in criminal investigations by fraud investigators in the UK and over 100 people have been sanctioned or prosecuted. 134 cases are currently being investigated and £3.1 million in benefit over payments have been identified and will be reclaimed.

The small Pensions, Benefit & Healthcare team based in Spain provide support to the estimated 1million Britons living there. They work with the Spanish Authorities on behalf of the DWP and Department of Health to prevent and detect benefit fraud, ensure correct access to the Spanish healthcare system, and combat misuse of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

They prevent fraud by making sure British people living in Spain understand and follow the country’s systems and understand the strict rules on what they are and are not able to claim. The team support the work of fraud investigators in the UK by gathering intelligence on suspected benefit thieves and by overseeing the Spanish benefit fraud hotline.

wrexview
    Participant

Stop paying the winter fuel allowance , free TV licence and free bus passes to higher rate tax payers. This would be simple to administer and be a step in the right direction.

abidwd
    Participant

the best solution is a new tax system, should put more tax on businesses hiring less people and making huge money, play, amazon, google.
    I dont understand how a company hires hundreds of thousands of people can pay the same tax rate as a company hires hundreds and making millions of pounds in profit gets transfered to Luxembourg and USA.
    the solution is a rate based on profit per 1 hour labour worked ratio.

Rob
    Participant

RE: abidwd – I dont claim to have all the answers but the likes of Google are largely automated now, even Amazon is automated in terms of ‘picking’ items and sales. Lots and lots of revenue is even third party for some such as Play.com and Ebay where it is the likes of me and you interacting and they facilitate the transaction.

Therefore on a ‘worked hour’ basis it wouldnt raise much in tax, and even if a quote for say a CPU cycle or £ value was attributed you just move the servers to somewhere else and pay their tax not ours.

The new digital economy is key and although jobs are lost due to it, many are created for example money is flowing into hosting / cloud / app development and the like.

abidwd
    Participant

@Rob 3327 wrote:

RE: abidwd – I dont claim to have all the answers but the likes of Google are largely automated now, even Amazon is automated in terms of ‘picking’ items and sales. Lots and lots of revenue is even third party for some such as Play.com and Ebay where it is the likes of me and you interacting and they facilitate the transaction.

Therefore on a ‘worked hour’ basis it wouldnt raise much in tax, and even if a quote for say a CPU cycle or £ value was attributed you just move the servers to somewhere else and pay their tax not ours.

The new digital economy is key and although jobs are lost due to it, many are created for example money is flowing into hosting / cloud / app development and the like.

Rob,
    let me say it in a different way.
    a long time going company (A) with 40 workers and generate 2 million per year of net profit.
    should not pay the same tax rate as
    a new company (B) of the same kind with 10 workers and generates 2 million per year of net profit.
    otherwise, company (A) will try to copy company (B) methodology and sack 30 workers thinking that they can cut the cost of production and increase the profit.
    Amazon and Play.com are examples, however many businesses around the country sacked the workers and moved online.
    Sacking people to make more profit should have a price, and at the moment it is very cheap.
    Online only traders should no be treated the same with respect to the tax rate. In the end of the day the best selling product in Amazon is a chinese made linux run ereader which I love , imagine how much money they made out of this kit, and what taxes they pay for the profit the make from selling the device and the ebooks considering the number of workers they hire.
    if Amazon to go because of the high tax rate, some other business will fit in. simple as.

PS: play.com is a Jersey-based Chinese company.
    How much money Google and Facebook make out of advertising in the UK?!! do you think considering the number of workers they hire, the tax they pay on their operations in the UK is enough?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News