Battle lines drawn in Election

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Battle lines drawn in Election

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Well now that we know who is standing it’s time to guess what may happen. What is strange is the number of candidates that are standing in an area were they don’t live — very strange unless they have some kind of personal prominence.
    The only is the three unopposed candidates – people like Mark Pritchard who was unopposed last time has two to battle with!
    I wonder if Labour become the majority that they will take Hugh Jones into their fold again if he wins — last time it was Labour led be Neil Rogers who took the Conservative Hugh Jones into the Executive camp.
    It will be easy for some candidates to throw the mud at those who may have held office before but it is another thing to prove they can do better.
    A question the electorate should ask any candidates before they vote is how much time are they going to dedicate to the role if they win.
    Can candidates who have their own business to run have sufficient time!
    It will also be interesting to see if the average age drops below the 67 that it is at the moment! Whether we get more of a gender balance.

Interested
    Participant

It is also absolutely fantastic that we have so many youngsters stepping up. Borras, Johnstown look very young. I hope they have a great time and don’t get knocked down if the results don’t go their way this time.

I agree to with your point about Councillors putting the time and effort in Dylan. That can be measured through attendance at meetings etc.

Neil Rogers…….mm…the guy who didn’t like a democratic vote and who threw his dummy out of the pram. Labour will do better without him And all those defectors. Well I hope they do.

Interested
    Participant

But the make up of the future council is the most interesting thing to watch.

An old Councillor once said its all about the numbers. That interested me a bit because he said that the executive board is directly linked to the number of Councillors a party gets. So if Labour got 75% of their Councillors elected that would see them get 75% of the seats on the exec board?? Is that right. And other groups it would be the same proportion to the number of seats won. So a Conservative would have a seat on the executive board anyway wouldn’t they?? Can anyone confirm, deny that.

Interested
    Participant

And if I am right….what if a large number of true Independents won how would they influence decisions……as they wouldn’t have a seat on the executive board?? Hence why Independent groups form which then takes away their…..Independence. And if they form a party/group how do we measure them on what they deliver if they never had a manifesto?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Sorry your presumption is wrong–
    The make up of the Party with the majority of over 50% of all of the seats ie 27 select the Executive. If no Party/Group get the 27 then there will be deals across the various Groups and a coalition would be formed to achieve the majority. Out of the majority they would decide who would take up the seats on the Executive Board (currently 10 the Labour manifesto states they would only have 8). All of the Executive would be given a Lead Member portfolio on a specific topic.

If they follow previous process nominations go to the Full Council for them to approve a Leader and Deputy for approval — this having already been decided on the above basis of a majority Party or Coalition before to ensure they have more than 50% of all Councillors ‘on side’.

The other element that will need to happen is that all of the Independents that get elected will have to come together in one or more Groups to be officially recognised and from within their ranks they will select their own Group Leader.

A different scenario that could take place but is most unusual would be for the Party/Group with the largest majority may not wish to be the ruling body and instead decide to go into opposition. This has occurred in Wrexham before in the past 10 years. If this happened then the door is open for all of the other Parties/Groups that have won to form a coalition. In practice this could mean the Executive seats being awarded across three or more Parties/Groups- if this was to occur potentially when reports are presented for Executive approval then they may not always get a full voting in favour.

Hope that helps and I haven’t missed any of the process

Interested
    Participant

Thanks for putting me straight Dylan. It is interesting though, would love to be a fly on the wall when the various leaders start trying to form coalitions.

Conde
    Participant

It’s already happened Interested!

Interested
    Participant

Conde…..my respect for putting yourself in the firing line.

However……reading your introduction fills me with dread. You change your allegiance to suit a political climate….my opinion. No political party would sound out coalitions this early….unless it’s the Independents, Plaid and the Lib Dems. Looking at Labour….39 candidates they are obviously looking to get enough to take control.

So if anyone is working on coalitions Lib Dems, Independents, Plaid, Labour or Conservatives…….a bit presumptuous and treating the electorate like mugs.

Care to name those seeking coalitions Conde…..or is it just bluster and electioneering on your part?

I think I can guess the answer.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Need to remember that the Independents on the Council were never one Group- a situation could arise that Labour have majority of seats but not enough to take control- they are then more likely to try and pick off a few extra Independents to take control far better than trying to forge a coalition with Plaid, Lib Dem or Conservatives

Conde
    Participant

[quote quote=129605]Conde…..my respect for putting yourself in the firing line.

However……reading your introduction fills me with dread. You change your allegiance to suit a political climate….my opinion. No political party would sound out coalitions this early….unless it’s the Independents, Plaid and the Lib Dems. Looking at Labour….39 candidates they are obviously looking to get enough to take control.

So if anyone is working on coalitions Lib Dems, Independents, Plaid, Labour or Conservatives…….a bit presumptuous and treating the electorate like mugs.

Care to name those seeking coalitions Conde…..or is it just bluster and electioneering on your part?

I think I can guess the answer.

[/quote]

Appreciate your comments – and to be fair … I can sympathise with the view.

Re: changing sides – 2010-2012 I was 18, fresh into the political world and spun a fable about how things could change on a national scale. I am more than happy to admit that I was let down. I’m sure you can relate to it.

My reason for standing as an Indy = right now, I do not believe that any party quite suits me or what I believe needs to be happening going forward. Whilst I’m still in the political wastelands after the politics of my youth I’d rather not nail anyone’s colours to my mast other than my own.

In terms of who’ve been speaking to whom – the conversation has been less ‘coalition’ more the groupings. But you and I both know that that is the first step. Am I involved with that, am I tosh.

I’m only interested in doing my best for the ward – if I win the election, great. If I don’t then I’m happy because the people have decided. I’m doing this because I actually think I’d be quite good at it rather than needing to do it.

Though, if the only thing about my introduction that dreads you is the fact that I have dropped colours, then that is an acceptable result to me. I’m more interested in getting things sorted rather than political pandering. Will I be able to get things sorted? I wouldn’t put my name up if I didn’t think I couldn’t give it a go.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News