Baloney and the the state of the Peoples Market

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Baloney and the the state of the Peoples Market

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

I feel a soapbox moment coming on

Wrexham.Com have carried a story this morning which I am sure is oh so familiar to those who discuss matters of real concern on these forums. Apparently, it has been noted that the cleanliness of the stairwell on the Peoples Market is in a disgraceful condition and may put people off either coming to Wrexham or shopping in the Peoples Market. In turn, there are a range of responses from various members of the Council Officialdom. Baloney.

The stairwell in question represents a mindset in action. It represents a culture in action. It represents the unacceptable. The response represents the even more unacceptable.

I note the response from various members of Officialdom to the report about the stairwell to the South Arcade of the Peoples Market. It is tosh. These stairs get an occasional deep-clean but the truth is that they have been a disgrace for years. The graffiti in question (Deno the Fat ++++) was the same graffiti that has been on the stairwell for years, indeed the same mess that was shown to the Head of Economic development by myself when I was a Market trader several years ago . These stairs, like the Market itself, are neglected and left to go to rack and ruin.
    The whole Market area is a Management wilderness, potentially a wonderful resource for the community and potentially a wonderful base for a Market. It has spiralled into decline because it has been neglected. Other towns don’t run their Markets like this and Bury is a shining example. In Bury the Council have looked at every facet of good practice and have developed a Market where traders and the community take full advantage of the resource. What we are talking about here, however, isn’t even the template for good practice in a modern market. We are just talking about indifference, slovenliness and the type of couldn’t care less attitudes that should cause heads to roll.

jimbow
    Participant

It is just a pity that Councillors did not use the Peoples Market car parking. But, there again with free parking outside the Guildhall, I bet many of them don’t often enter the Town Centre.

wrexview
    Participant

That is a good idea, as some of the disabled spaces behind the library are to be lost when the police station moves in, relocalte the Councillors and chief officers spaces from the Guilhall to the People’s Market and let the disabled and paying general public have access to the Guildhall Car Park seven days a week. If Councillors and Officiers had to regularly use the lifts and walkways in the People’s Market I am sure they would be pristine within days !

kaidee
    Participant

The last time the stairs in the peoples market had anything close to a clean down was when the tour of britain came to town. I find it so galling to think that wcbc can make an effort to have a “clean up” when there are visitors likely to come to town but, leave it like an absolute ****hole the rest of the time for wrexham people who pay their council tax, some of which I’m sure is allocated to cleaning this area.

Rondetto
    Participant

Those stairwells from the multi storey car park are a disgrace. I’m sure the police know that junkies hang out there
    and close a blind eye. They urinate in there too which stinks each time I’ve used the stairs.It’s not fair on the public or the traders who have to use them on a daily basis.

jimbow
    Participant

When I traded in the Markets, the Council staff in the Market were responsible for the cleaning of the stairwells, and the Public Toilets. There are now less stalls than ever before in the Peoples Market. You would expect therefore, staff would have more time to concentrate on the stairwells etc. But,there again its down to the management and the lack of supervision. Say no more.

99DylanJones
    Participant

The cleaning of the market is not undertaken by Wrexham Council employees but by Wrexham Commercial Services Ltd. who you would assume the Council would tackle if they are unsatisfied with the way the cleaning is being undertaken.
    https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/Council/Reports/haed1614.pdf
    In the commercial world if a contractor does not fulfil the delivery of a service what would happen is notice to improve or sack them!!
    Easy you may think but not when there are only three Company Directors- Lawrence Isted — Chief Planning officer of the Council- Lee Robinson – Strategic Director and Councillor Hugh Jones.
    I wonder how many times a declaration of interest has been declared at meetings to do with VVP – Vibrant and Viable Places and the new Arts Hub?
    In whose interest is it for the Market to decay? This is a public space and should not be treated as out of sight out of mind.
    I wonder if they fulfil the cleaning contract for the new Prison Offices to the same standard- or are the Market cleanser working on the Industrial Estate instead of the Market?

wrexview
    Participant

New company only formed October 2014, first accounts due at Companies House December 31st 2015.

KidA
    Participant

I’m a regular user of the car park and agree it has been in a disgusting state for ages. I don’t expect a deep clean but it doesn’t even receive a once-over given the same litter present day after day. Why can’t it be a no alcohol/loitering zone and monitored by PCSO’s as part of their daily circuit of the Town?

As for the cleaning company, whether it’s council affiliated or not, who cares as long as they do their job which clearly they don’t but I suspect this is down to cuts more that the lack of will.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Account year end will actually be 31st March 2016- they have actually shortened the year from the 12 months since first being formed. Probaly to coincide with Councils own year end.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News