ARTS AND CULTURAL HUB

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum ARTS AND CULTURAL HUB

• Author

kaidee
    Participant

Was just wondering how many people are really that bothered about a new Art and culture hub being developed at the expense of quite a few small businesses potentially closing. I was under the impression that Wrexham council were trying to revive the town, seems a strange way of doing it to me.

dagg
    Participant

Where is it situated.

janeywxm
    Participant

Wrexham definitely needs more in the way of serving the arts. There are a lot of talented artists, photographers etc who need a place to show off their work and network with others. I think encouraging the artistic people in Wrexham can only be a good thing and a central hub would inspire many others to become more involved in the arts.

I wish the university here would do a full time BA Hons in photography – Yes they have digital lens media etc but it’s not really a dedicated photography course.

More arts and culture for Wrexham? Absolutely Yes!

99DylanJones
    Participant

What is actually missing in Wrexham that is not already here? What do we want in a arts hub that is not available?

Rex Ham
    Participant

Absolutely Wrexham needs an arts and cultural hub. To be a successful town, we need a wide range of activities. Yes, we need good shopping and sporting facilities, but the town needs to be attractive to people with an interest in theatre (of all genres), painting, sculpture, photography. These help to make a balanced town. With the disappearance of the Oriel gallery, where will exhibitions be housed? My only sadness is the town passed up on Welsh Government funding for a theatre, although I am sensible enough to realise it might need continued LA support at a time when funding is stretched. Absolutely we need to promote the arts and hopefully use it as a tool to further the education of the children of our town.

zinger
    Participant

We have two theatres, as in the Stiwt in Rhos as well as the William Aston Hall. If these place were over subscribed then I would back another theatre. It seems that people prefer to travel to Mold.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=93062]Wrexham definitely needs more in the way of serving the arts. There are a lot of talented artists, photographers etc who need a place to show off their work and network with others. I think encouraging the artistic people in Wrexham can only be a good thing and a central hub would inspire many others to become more involved in the arts.

I wish the university here would do a full time BA Hons in photography – Yes they have digital lens media etc but it’s not really a dedicated photography course.

More arts and culture for Wrexham? Absolutely Yes!

Alun replied:

I hoped that the discussion would not repeat the path once taken by the Theatre debate…….but it has. Seemingly two camps develop, one inclined to the Arts and one against. This whole discussion should not be about the principle of an Arts Hub….such a concept has to be great news for Wrexham. What I would like to see the debate focus on is the location of such a Hub and the merits of the idea of Wrexham as a Market town (and the future of the Peoples Market). An Arts Hub…..YES. Location…..a place where the Arts can become self paying/sustaining linking perhaps the Hub to the University, the Catrin Finch Centre, the Museum and so on.

[/quote]

kariha
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/consultation/arts/index.htm

This is the link about the proposed arts & culture hub. It could be fantastic, but I am unsure that the proposed location (the People’s Market) is ideal. I think the old TJ Hughes premises would be a good option – excellent space, plus it would help to open up the town centre more.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=93431]https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/consultation/arts/index.htm

This is the link about the proposed arts & culture hub. It could be fantastic, but I am unsure that the proposed location (the People’s Market) is ideal. I think the old TJ Hughes premises would be a good option – excellent space, plus it would help to open up the town centre more.

[/quote]

The idea of a Hub is great. The concept of putting it in the Peoples Market is awful. Unfortunately, the TJ Hughes proposal will have no legs whatsoever because the Council- which is a major property landlord- does not own this unit. Indeed, it would cost the Ratepayer obscene amounts of money to source. There are several mini-debates to be had on this subject including:-

Do we want Wrexham to be perceived as a Market town ?
    Does the Destination Wrexham concept benefit from such a concept or not?
    Do we want 3 Markets?
    Are 3 Markets viable?
    Do we want an Arts Hub?
    What are the advantages of combining the Arts Hub with a Market?
    What are the disadvantages?
    Whilst capital funds can be procured for the setting up of the Hub, how will it be sustained over time?
    Are there better alternative sites for the Arts Hub?

and so on

kariha
    Participant

I fully appreciate that WCBC doesn’t own the old TJ Hughes premises – could have been a more suitable site! I also think questions need to be asked about what is currently happening within the world of Arts & Culture in Wrexham and build on this.
    Also – the empty units on Henblas Square are great blank canvasses (boom boom!) and would provide great spaces.
    Ahhhh the dream!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News