Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

• Author

Danielkg
    Participant

I cannot remember the last time I looked in the Argos catalogue!

I’ve the Argos app on my phone which I can access anywhere; check stock, compare prices, reserve and/or buy the item so I can simply pop in. I’ve not done it myself but they do offer same day delivery too. Which of these does a paper catalogue provide??

As mentioned already people commenting clearly have internet access. If you looked into it further almost everywhere has an online presence and it offers so much convenience.
    Maybe it’s a generation thing? Or maybe not; in my workplace I see many more customers using digital options or even expecting too be able to do things online or via an app.

Sheefag
    Participant

Amazon v Argos, at least Argos pay tax.

borras47
    Participant

This issue has raised a lot of comments over the past few days, some being sarcastic or critical and others more constructive. However, due to the growing trend of technology being used to run our lives it is assumed that every household in the country has access to the internet. Unfortunately this is not the case. This can be due to the elderly not having the internet or people on low incomes who can only regard the World Wide Web as a luxury. So come on you people out there who have criticised this issue, please have a think about all sides to this story and consider people in all walks of life with differing situations and let us see what transpires.

Sheefag
    Participant

What’s happened is that a catalogue costs a fortune to design, print, transport and thus is a drain on resources.
    They’re stripping cost out of a business to remain competitive, it’s not a charity.

It is cracking moaning value though.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=116617]I cannot remember the last time I looked in the Argos catalogue!

I’ve the Argos app on my phone which I can access anywhere; check stock, compare prices, reserve and/or buy the item so I can simply pop in. I’ve not done it myself but they do offer same day delivery too. Which of these does a paper catalogue provide??

As mentioned already people commenting clearly have internet access. If you looked into it further almost everywhere has an online presence and it offers so much convenience.
    Maybe it’s a generation thing? Or maybe not; in my workplace I see many more customers using digital options or even expecting too be able to do things online or via an app.

[/quote]

My mum, for example, is elderly – she is no longer able to walk around shops and she does not, and will never have, the Internet. The Argos catalogue is now literally the only option she has to choose gifts for her grandchildren. She can then either ask a relative to pick up the order, or get a taxi to Plas Coch Argos to pick it up herself. Without this catalogue she will no longer be able to choose gifts for her family.

Why don’t Argos just keep enough catalogues for elderly and disabled people. They could require proof of age / disability before giving them out. This is not only good for society but good business sense as it maintains one of the few competitive advantages it has over its rivals for a large section of its customer base. Let’s be honest, for the younger generations it can’t compete with Amazon.

R T
    Keymaster

Perhaps there is a gap for Amazon, or a third party, to create paper versions of sections of their catalogue with some kind of man-in-middle ordering system.

I know people used to run ebay listing services and made a mint from it, perhaps someone locally could create a physical front end to various internet shops?!

Sheefag
    Participant

I keep seeing this comparison of Argos and Amazon – has anyone here ever tried to return a faulty item to Amazon?

Argos has a town centre presence, you know, physical shops, the kind of thing that keeps town centres alive and yet people want it to deliver more and compete with Amazon – You’d better start to accept less then.

Amazon, the home of tax evasion and zero hour contracts.

How many of the moaners take the Argos catalogue home and then buy from the internet I wonder.

Sheefag
    Participant

And Rob, is there a reason that you don’t do a print version of Wrexham.com?

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=116636]And Rob, is there a reason that you don’t do a print version of Wrexham.com?

[/quote]

Both of your last comments are spot on Sheefag. I await with bated breath a coherent response on those, particularly the final one.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=116636]And Rob, is there a reason that you don’t do a print version of Wrexham.com?[/quote]

Who says there isnt going to be one? :)

Back on main topic… It does appear to be an accessibility issue that people are raising, and an example of the often theoretical ‘digital divide’ where people get disenfranchised. To me, if that is applicable to Argos its the same to any digital retailer.

Similarly the argument that you need to move with the times is valid, but as with a few areas, the rush to digital means some of the decent bits of analogue get lost for the sake of ‘progress’.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News