Another Visit, more questions to be raised !

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Another Visit, more questions to be raised !

• Author

Sam
    Participant

Dear Sam

Thanks for your message regarding the proposed housing development in Tanyfron and the wider context. I am well aware of the history of the Brymbo steelworks site and the work my colleagues in Plaid Cymru locally have put in regarding ensuring the best possible re-development. We’ve had to fight tooth and nail with the BDL, local councillors and some residents on the new estate regarding this but I think we’ve been honest and consistent throughout in wanting to see the original plan implemented, i.e. a spine road, retail, employment, community facilities and some housing.

This has not happened due to the lack of planning supervision and BDL’s decision to approach the planning system with piecemeal applications. The developer has ignored its own masterplan, despite receiving substantial amounts of public money to restore the site.

I note that the forthcoming application is a re-hash of a previous application that was rejected by the planning committee two years ago. My Plaid Cymru colleagues on that committee were at the forefront of the opposition at the time. The subsequent appeal to the planning inspectorate was thrown out and I think it is now clear that this is a last throw of the dice by BDL to secure yet more housing on this site.

I hope the planning committee are as resolute in protecting a greenfield site now as they were two years ago and I would urge both BDL and the council to engage in a serious conversation with the local communities of Brymbo and Tanyfron, as well as the residents of the new estate, to ensure that the benefits of the site’s redevelopment are not confined to the developer.

I am happy to make representations to the planning committee stating the case for the spine road to be built as soon as possible. This, more than any other aspect of the development, is absolutely essential to opening up the site for commercial opportunities and also creating a new connection between the existing villages.

Yours

LLyr

Llyr Huws Gruffydd AC/AM

Brilliant Reply from someone who actually reads their emails, takes there time to reply and supports local communities.

Thank You Llyr.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

What a refreshing change. A politician who actually answers fully and offers to help. Just goes to show they are not all bad. I hope it helps your cause.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

The other parties would do well to take a leaf out of Plaid Cymru’s book and engage with electorate in a civil manner.

I’ve always found PC’s wrexham politicians to be respectful and actually reply. This is how it should be.

michellecook
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 5631 wrote:

The other parties would do well to take a leaf out of Plaid Cymru’s book and engage with electorate in a civil manner.

I’ve always found PC’s wrexham politicians to be respectful and actually reply. This is how it should be.

That was my experience with Kerbcraft as well, the only ones willing to help were with Plaid Cymru.

Sam
    Participant

I have sent the original email for a second time, hopefully the other recipients will take a leaf out of Plaid Cymru’s book.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If you do have any help from Plaid Cymru can you let us know. I am seriously considering voting for them next time based on their answer to you.

Sam
    Participant

Well, sorry for a belated update on this matter.
    It seems that off the record the WCBC are very aware that in 2015, with the introduction of the new regional LDP’s, the BDL could just continue building on the site with no legal obligation to provide the local community with the promised infrastructure and they’d be virtually powerless to stop it, (according to a WCBC representative). Strange one that, I know.

It has also been stated to me that IF this application does not go through, the BDL could see fit to walk away, again, with no obligations.

The above statements are verifiable facts.

Fresh recent news is that it seems that ‘certain elements & information’ about the overall project are not being made known to some local residents.
    Scaremongering it seems the norm of rallying support for the development.

Today I’ve spoken to some residents where they have either been fed disinformation or incomplete information. They were alarmed at this when shown what can actually be found in the public domain.

Their eyes were opened & I expect some ‘reaction’ to them being told the whole picture.

Dirty tricks, even in local communities…………..politics. Shame on you.

And, sorry, in this instance, due to further action being taken, I am not publicly revealing the culprit, so please don’t ask, have a good guess.

Sam
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 5642 wrote:

If you do have any help from Plaid Cymru can you let us know. I am seriously considering voting for them next time based on their answer to you.

I cannot fault Plaid Cymru on any aspect when I have required information and their offer of representation is still valid.

Very refreshing when I’ve been dealing with the seedier side of local politics as of lately.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

At last Brymbo Community Council have seen sense and voted against further over development of Tan y Fron. Congratulations Sam!

Sam
    Participant

Thanks for the congratulations but I am just a spokesman for some everyday residents of Tanyfron. We are acting as a community together.

You should be congratulating common sense and decency has come on top in this instance, but this is just one step in the long battle ahead.

Interestingly, Cllr Paul Rogers first response on Twitter was

Paul Rogers (@cllrpaulrogers) tweeted at 10:01 PM on Tue, May 14, 2013:
    When will some people realise that it was BRYMBO steelworks?
    Its time Brymbo had the investment it deserves.

Is this an indication of his disregard for certain areas of his ward ?

I’ve asked for him to clarify his his statement, no response as of yet.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News