Another shop closure in the town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Another shop closure in the town

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

The newsagents off High street that is in the arcade leading to the butchers market is closing down. Yet another loss to the town.

AquaMagic
    Participant

It’s sad to see another small independent retailer close it’s doors in the town center.

jimbow
    Participant

This property is owned by the Council. It seems that the Council are unable to let any of their small shop premises, looking at the empty premises they have in Henblas Street. Could one reason be that the Council are asking too much rent?

Rondetto
    Participant

Spot on Jimbow. They are ruining the town with huge business rates. That’s why so many have pulled out. Thorntons tried to negotiate to no avail as did the shop that was trading as a 60p shop.

jimbow
    Participant

Rondetto. I have heard on the grapevine, that a new shop will be opening on the corner of Chester Street/Henblas Street in the next couple of weeks. Watch this space.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Quote: “They are ruining the town with huge business rates”
    Who are?
    Business rates are set by the Welsh Assembly, not the Council. the Council collect on their behalf and it is then redistributed by the Assembly as part of settlement.
    I know that WCBC have many many faults but to apportion blame in this instance is clearly wrong.
    It will be interesting to see whether the Assembly government follows the lead of the Chancellor in his budget where he raised the rateable value threshold at which small business are liable to business rates in England,from £6000 to almost double that, thus taking 600,000 out of business rates altogether.
    My bet is that they won’t. Where else would all the monies come from to finance mega projects in South Wales?

Sheefag
    Participant

The focus should be on rents set by WCBC, not rates.
    Wrexhams problems are local, as should be the solutions.

Constantly blaming South Wales for the ineptitude of local politicians, traditionally chosen on political colour rather than ability, excuses the lazy, talentless amateurs that have historically ruined the town.

Nothing will change in Wrexham until the electorate choose change.

Daave63
    Participant

Morning Shee,

we usually see eye to eye on these things, and while agree that the local politicians could do better, even they are restricted due to budget cuts by the South Wales Assembly. As for an electorate change to change, nothing can or will change now, unless their attitudes change to one of serving the electorate and not themselves!! Sally Webster-Metcalf will soon learn!!

Sheefag
    Participant

Daave, I agree with half of your post.

Nothing will change until local politicians revert to serving the local electorate rather than playing at national, tribal level.

However, I will not accept that there is a South Walian conspiracy against the North.

It’s simple, political laziness. Before the assembly was created, any and all negative events were blamed on the Westminster parliament, a tradition kept alive to this day by the SNP, north of the border.

What used to be blamed on the English is now blamed on the Welsh Assembly.
    Are North Walian politicions somehow barred from the building? Do they have no influence?

It’s so much easier to blame the wind for continuously blowing down the fence rather than getting off one’s arse and fixing it properly but it’s become a familiar whinge that benefits no-one.

Alunh
    Participant

Benjamin is spot on about Rates and who sets them. Equally, Sheefag makes some vital points and I must reinforce the main one.

The Rents in the Peoples Market, The Butchers Market, the General Market and several shops on Henblas Street, Chester Street and High Street are set by WCBC. They are out of step with the private rents set in the town and are out of step with the demand on the properties. That’s why they are empty. I am not going to list them but there are several shops who have relocated from Council Shops to private sector shops because the latter are cheaper. I am one of them

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News