ANOTHER REASON WHY OUR NHS IS STRUGGLING.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum ANOTHER REASON WHY OUR NHS IS STRUGGLING.

• Author

jaycee
    Participant

Private hospitals cashing in on £52million business rates tax break while NHS faces crippling hikes

Nuffield Health, Britain’s third richest charity, will pay just £3.2million in business rates on its hospitals over the next five years, saving £12.7million
    Surely this cannot be right.

dagg
    Participant

If the hospital administered their money wisely it may help, hospitals seem to pay various prices for the same item.

Matt
    Participant

What’s the local impact for context? How much is the rate relief for the Nuffield sites in Chester and Shrewsbury? What are the hikes on health locations under Betsi Cadwaladr?

Yes the NHS is in crisis but we need some numbers, rather than risk this turning into a generic diatribe looking to provoke outrage tabloid style.

jaycee
    Participant

Matt. I think the point is that the NHS is in a cash crisis, but private Hospitals that have to make a profit can claim Charity status and obtain business rate relief, where as the NHS Hospitals have to pay the full amount. It’s the principle, scandalous never mind the figures.

Matt
    Participant

Okay, here’s the BBC link on it for those interested for some reason it’s showing up as white, but you can click on it – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40993450

You’ll have to excuse me I’m very interested in numbers, I like to crunch stats. If we get to the brunt of the issue, it’s insufficient as such that it’s a scandal and people are outraged. The problem is getting the ball rolling and turning scandalous outrage (i.e. people moaning online or on their sofas/workplace/gym etc…) into action so far as that someone gives us in Wrexham more healthcare funding. There is no consensus or plan for this to become a reality, regardless of who is in Government.

We are in a catch-22 situation in North Wales especially. I ranted at Andrew Atkinson about the NHS in Wrexham seeing as he is de facto head local Tory and to my knowledge never gave anyone a satisfactory response how he or anyone would get blood out of Jeremy Hunt’s stone (not innuendo) to unlock more funds for health services in the local area.

Conservatives blame Welsh Labour in the Assembly for the lack of NHS funding in Wales and Labour blame the Tories at national level for not giving Wales sufficient funding. I’m sure someone else has a more detailed and eloquent description of the actual problem, but it’s a political football (even according to Atkinson himself) that gets tossed back and forth and nobody is willing to give us more money.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News