Ambulance waiting times

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ambulance waiting times

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Why Spain? Don’t we have caring people in the UK?

BenjaminM
    Participant

@zinger 18315 wrote:

Why Spain? Don’t we have caring people in the UK?

1. Because ther is a shortage of qualified nurses nationally. 1 in 5 (on latest published figures) are presently recruited from overseas, and –
    2. Because Wrexham is unlikely to be near the top of a list of desirable locations to resettle for British nationals.

zinger
    Participant

Is the shortage of qualified nurses due to now needing university degrees? Do nurses coming from abroad have the same qualifications that British nurses have?

dagg
    Participant

@justjojo2011 18263 wrote:

This is where they need to focus on. Not A&E, fix the issues within the GP service first and the rest will follow suit.

The question that needs to be asked, is of those people trying to get an appointment with their GP, how many NEED to see a GP? How many will be sent away with no medical intervention? How many can be dealt with at a pharmacy?

I went to the chemist before Christmas because I had a bad chest, after telling the chemist what over the counter medicine I had been taking for the last 3 weeks he told me to see my GP. My GP wouldn’t give me anything because antibiotics wouldn’t work, so I wasted his time and mine.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

I was unlucky to be in the hospital over the summer, most of the nursing staff were agency, one came from Wolverhampton every day as she was earning a fortune as an agency nurse.
    When I trained as a nurse I was the second year to do it as a degree, the course was hated by the nurses on the ward as it was producing nurses with less practical skills. Nursing was always a discipline which spanned both the academic and the practical worlds but they have tipped it too far to the academics.
    I have nothing against people coming from other countries to work here (as long as they are sufficiently qualified) but we are doing developing nations a disservice by taking their educated professionals to work in our country. We should be looking to our own population and training far more Drs and nurses and to a good standard relevant to their posts.

zinger
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 18326 wrote:

I was unlucky to be in the hospital over the summer, most of the nursing staff were agency, one came from Wolverhampton every day as she was earning a fortune as an agency nurse.
    When I trained as a nurse I was the second year to do it as a degree, the course was hated by the nurses on the ward as it was producing nurses with less practical skills. Nursing was always a discipline which spanned both the academic and the practical worlds but they have tipped it too far to the academics.
    I have nothing against people coming from other countries to work here (as long as they are sufficiently qualified) but we are doing developing nations a disservice by taking their educated professionals to work in our country. We should be looking to our own population and training far more Drs and nurses and to a good standard relevant to their posts.

Couldn’t agree more. Practical skills should come way above degree courses. The degree courses should come after a few years practical training on the wards not the other way on. Nursing is or should be a vocation.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor