Ambulance waiting times

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ambulance waiting times

• Author

Tinazed
    Participant

I had to be taken to the maelor by ambulance earlier this year on a Sunday morning ,even though it was’nt an emergency the ambulance came within 15mins of the doctor phoning for one .The problem started when we got to a&e ,I was in the ambulance for nearly 5hours, the crew where brilliant with me,but when I eventually got taken into ‘majors’ I was horrified to find several of the cubicles where occupied by pissheads /druggies!each with at least one or two police personnel looking after them as well as the medical staff!!!! Several of the nurses I spoke to said it was a regular occurrence,and they could do nothing to stop it ,and that was part of the reason patients where being held in ambulances outside .I eventually got onto a ward about midnight nearly 14 hours after the ambulance collected me.All the staff I that helped me that day where brilliant ,but if somthing was done about those who ‘self inflicted’ their illnesses maybe the problem in a&e would’nt be so bad ,but I for one don’t know what the answer is

Theresa
    Participant

Hard to define ‘self inflicted’ though.

Smoking, drinking alcohol, being obese/overweight, etc are all ‘self inflicted’ and/or addictive in one form or another.

Should the Nhs only treat those that lead the ‘perfect’ lifestyle?

JaneJ
    Participant

Why not adopt the ideas from other countries – if you are admitted to hospital from alcohol or drug related problems you are sent a bill for the medical attention.
    Our Health Service should not have to fund the services for these kind of issues as they are a problem in Society as a whole and these people need Social care support not medical. That is what Champions House is trying to achieve (see other thread). If we don’t invest in preventative and support services the issues in A and E and other part of the Health Service will just reach crisis point.

johnhoppy
    Participant

@Theresa 16923 wrote:

Hard to define ‘self inflicted’ though.

Smoking, drinking alcohol, being obese/overweight, etc are all ‘self inflicted’ and/or addictive in one form or another.

Should the Nhs only treat those that lead the ‘perfect’ lifestyle?

Where does it end. What about the people who fall of bikes, have heart attacks whilst jogging, break a limb whilst climbing mountains. All these activities could be considered to be self inflicted. Why pick on only one section of society.

JRW
    Participant

@johnhoppy 16931 wrote:

Where does it end. What about the people who fall of bikes, have heart attacks whilst jogging, break a limb whilst climbing mountains. All these activities could be considered to be self inflicted. Why pick on only one section of society.

Of course money may be tight which often calls for tough choices.Though treatment has to be for all.In any event you’ll find everyone’s paid in!

jimbow
    Participant

JaneJ. What would you do with somebody who came in with an overdose of coco cola?

JaneJ
    Participant

If everyone followed the advice given by the NHS then we would not have so many delays in hospital A & E
    Choose Well
    The NHS only works if there is a proper partnership with the public who should then adhere to the choosewell campaign.

JaneJ
    Participant

justjojo2011
    Participant

Agreed!!

So many people sit in A&E because they can’t get an appointment with their GP. When will they stop? When someone dies due to all the ambulances being sat outside A&E with patients in?

@JaneJ 16957 wrote:

If everyone followed the advice given by the NHS then we would not have so many delays in hospital A & E
    Choose Well
    The NHS only works if there is a proper partnership with the public who should then adhere to the choosewell campaign.

Mr Wonderful
    Participant

I was in the unfortunate position of needing an ambulance 18mths ago at home and I can only say that from when my partner called 999 to the paramedics arriving was about 8mins and I still believe they saved my life that day, the care,patience and professionalism was a humbling experience for me. As was my subsequent treatment at the Mealor.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News