A&E Waiting Times & HMP Berwyn

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum A&E Waiting Times & HMP Berwyn

• Author

Birdman
    Participant

Forever the constant moan about wait times so other that the gutting of NHS funding by Hunt and the repeated destruction of nursing numbers by making it more difficult for people to get nursing degrees by removing the bursaries and allowing less foreign nurses work here, what are the other local problems?

This is one big one – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-44771092, HMP Berwyn has only basic medical facilities and the weekly rate of injured guards and inmates is a huge drain on the Maelor’s resources and security is not equipped to handle a near constant stream of inmates and guards who accompany them. Inmates with violent/sexual assault history have been put in areas with vulnerable patients and staff. I can recount from one staff member that a nurse was left alone for 20 mins while stitching up an inmate only to discover afterwards he was a convicted rapist, this is one of many stories of staff feeling incredibly unsafe because of this new influx of patients. Thankfully nothing has occurred but something is going to slip through the cracks if we’re lucky someone escapes for a few hours and is caught again the worst scenarios I’d rather not speculate any further.

I’d recommend that if possible wrexham.com does a FOIA Request about Berwyn hospital admittance numbers.

AMA Express
    Participant

All prisoners brought into A&E from HMP Berwyn are handcuffed, and often chained, and accompanied by at least 2 officers. 1 officer stays with them at all times during treatment.

In 9 cases out of 10, patients brought in by the Police are also accompanied by 2 officers, who stay until they’re discharged. In the odd 1 in 10 case, the patients are victims, aren’t under arrest and are not deemed a threat.

The biggest threat to A&E are timewasters who could easily treat themselves, and attention seekers who often have mental health issues.

I worked as a Security Officer in A&E at the hospital until 3 weeks ago.

Birdman
    Participant

I know the procedure of how they are handled and its not always so this being left alone is something that happened and I know that for a fact, I won’t say its regular at all because that’s not true and staff still feel unsafe. The traffic from the prison is a bigger issue than you think for doctors and nurses being ex-security there you should know that full well. Everyone knows the regular time wasters like drunks, druggies and human waste who want a doctors note off work.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=152662]All prisoners brought into A&E from HMP Berwyn are handcuffed, and often chained, and accompanied by at least 2 officers. 1 officer stays with them at all times during treatment.

In 9 cases out of 10, patients brought in by the Police are also accompanied by 2 officers, who stay until they’re discharged. In the odd 1 in 10 case, the patients are victims, aren’t under arrest and are not deemed a threat.

The biggest threat to A&E are timewasters who could easily treat themselves, and attention seekers who often have mental health issues.

I worked as a Security Officer in A&E at the hospital until 3 weeks ago.[/quote]

I find it disturbing that someone who claims to have been a security officer at the Maelor’s A&E appears to think that this make him/her capable of spotting so-called “timewasters who could easily treat themselves” and “attention seekers” with “mental health issues”. Did you have sight of their medical notes? Did the medical staff discuss with you personal information relating to their patients?

In fact, I find this sufficiently disturbing that I am going to report it. I would not feel comfortable attending A&E if this sort of personal medical information is handled so irresponsibly.

BenjaminM
    Participant

What are you on Bubble? What sort of personal medical information is handled irresponsibly?

It doesn’t take a medical professional to identify malingerers and time wasters, in fact it is well documented that a significant proportion of A&E attendees have no need to be there anyway. Drunks with hangovers, those who have spent too long in the sun,those that are too mean to buy over the counter medication – the list is endless.
    AMA makes a very valid point, the place is teeming with those who should seek assistance elsewhere. The term Accident and Emergency means just that!
    As far as ‘reporting it’, how childish.

Matt
    Participant

I too was taken aback by the threat to report someone and interfere with their personal life just for stating their opinion and personal observation on a discussion forum.

Now I don’t know much about AMA but the opinions he/she expresses (no pun intended) on here puts them in the more level headed category of individuals who post on Wrexham.com and what is being inferred about what was originally stated is a bit delusional.

Come on now!

AMA Express
    Participant

Bubble, just to make things a bit clearer for you, I have never looked at, nor have I discussed patient’s personal medical files with anyone. But, I have been asked on several occasions by senior medical staff to stand guard over unruly patients, and to remove “frequent flyers” and nuisances from the site.

I don’t know who you think you’re going to report this to, nor indeed what you think you have to report. It’s a well known fact that there are timewasters and malingerers taking up valuable staff time, A&E beds and medicine from the NHS. If there weren’t, the NHS could substantially reduce it’s security costs for a start.

bubble
    Participant

Childish and delusional; BenjaminM & Matt, you’re so persuasive.

On the description of how prisoners are treated I have no issue.

AMA did not only state an opinion, nor was s/he quoting stats, s/he tried to add weight to it by stating where s/he had worked to indicate where this knowledge was gained.

We all know that there ARE timewasters, but to suggest they can be identified by a layperson simply watching them in A&E is absurb. Even a drunk or drug-addled person could be there for another injury that is not apparent to those nearby. Even if they’re injured due to an accident brought about by their intoxication does not make them timewasters; they are still entitled to be treated.

How would a layperson identify an attention seeker who has mental health issues? Again, an injury or other illness may not be apparent to an onlooker. Just because they appear to be seeking attention or behaving unusually, does not mean that that’s why they are attending A&E. Furthermore, not all mental health sufferers are attention seekers. If someone is experiencing a mental health crisis, particularly at an unsociable hour, where would you have them go to seek help, if not A&E?

AMA stated s/he doesn’t work there any more. But other non-clinical staff still do. People’s medical records are confidential. My concern here is that confidentiality may be being breached by “careless talk”. You may be happy for that to be the case, but I’m not. On the other hand, if it’s not the case then no one has anything to worry about do they.

It’s also possible that AMA never worked there and simply claims to have. Unless you know more about AMA than I do, we only have his/her word for it.

Council Watcher
    Participant

The biggest complaint the public should have about Berwyn ‘residents’ (this is the new official term for the men/prisoners) is that if someone arrives they are normally whisked straight through the waiting area to see a Doctor with two guards one being handcuffed- clearly, the hospital wants them out asap.

The physical facilities on the Berwyn site are like a small hospital and they have their own x-ray machines, dental, ophthalmic and other treatment services — their issue is that they don’t have the staff to operate at full capacity.

janeywxm
    Participant

[quote quote=152662]
    The biggest threat to A&E are timewasters who could easily treat themselves, and attention seekers who often have mental health issues..[/quote]

What an idiot to call someone with a mental health problem an attention seeker! We have this huge drive at the moment to bring mental health into public awareness due to the fact that 1 in 4 have a mental health problem in the UK.

It’s really saddening to see discrimination here and you should be ashamed of yourself. Your definition of ” attention seeking” is probably hell on earth for the mental health sufferer and patient.

Janey

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News