Aaron Banks running rings around Ian Lucas

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Aaron Banks running rings around Ian Lucas

• Author

Rex Ham
    Participant

Well, it looks like the Banks filibuster is unravelling and vindicates Ian Lucas stance in the sub committee.

TimRegency
    Participant

There’s no good legal reason to go ahead with Brexit.

The referendum was advisory, not legally binding. For something so weighty, it should have had a qualified majority requirement.

The Electoral Commission found that vote Leave broke the rules. That’s a legal finding, not an opinion and it has been backed up in the High Court. If I cheated in my local golf Medal competition, I wouldn’t be allowed to take the trophy home. That’s before we go into Cambridge Analytica and the tailored and targeted advertisement rule breaches.

May should annul the referendum result and revoke notification of Article 50. But of course, she won’t do that, as it’s far too sensible a plan for a Tory.

zinger
    Participant

Was the referendum that took Britain into the common market legally binding? Or the referendum that gave Wales devolution? Or the one in 2011 which gave Cardiff law making powers over North Wales with a turnout of just over a third of the population of Wales?

How do we know which referendums are legally binding & which aren’t?

TimRegency
    Participant

By checking the wording.

By the way, I’ve thought of another reason this referendum can be dismissed. During the campaign, Government ministers were making false promises about the benefits of leaving – eg £350 million a week for the NHS and a claim that there would be no downsides to Brexit, only upsides.

By going back on these promises, they have caused the bargain or ‘contract’ to break down, so it can now be rescinded.

parkingmad
    Participant

You could say the same about any General Election, none of the parties keep all their promises.

TimRegency
    Participant

I don’t think the two are comparable, but even if they were, it’s a tu quoque argument.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Aaron Banks takes the approach that ‘attack is the best form of defence’. His wealth shows what a racket the insurance market is and interestingly he bases his businesses on the Isle of Man. Some cynical people may say that he does that for tax purposes, but i understand that he is very fond of Manx cats and has a big collection of motorbikes.

Brexit, of course, is a slowest suicide attempt in history.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Does Ian Lucas remember that Wrexham overwhelmingly voted to LEAVE the EU….? Short memory Ian.

I wont have a short memory at the next Election…..I will be voting for Lucas to LEAVE…! Please join me.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News