A genuine Question to The Town Center Manager

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum A genuine Question to The Town Center Manager

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

It has been discussed on this forum before, but after visiting Mold this afternoon and looking at how vibrant the market and the town is, got me remembering how busy the Wrexham Monday market used to be and why is it that there are only a handful of traders that visit Wrexham on a Monday now ?

There has to be a good reason why they don’t come to Wrexham any more, there must be well over 50 stalls in Mold and none of them come to Wrexham.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Interesting point – I wonder if anyone from Wrexham Town Centre team have actually visited Mold to ask the traders why they don’t attend- Im sure the Council can afford to pay the staff travel.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I too was in Mold this afternoon, especially to visit the outdoor market. During the last week, I have visited every shop in Wrexham that I could think of that would possibly sell 3 items that I needed to purchase, it goes without saying, I couldn’t.

All 3 were obtained at Mold market within 20 minutes of arriving after paying just £1 for 3 hours parking in the town centre.

It has been said time and time again on this very site how Wrexham has deteriorated generally, not just with shop closures, market contraction, undesirables loitering on every street corner but in every facet, with seemingly very little being done to reverse the trend in matters that WCBC have some measure of influence.

Perhaps the Town Centre Manager could answer another question also: What exactly is the role of the Town Centre Wardens who seem to wander aimlessly around town doing little or nothing to justify their existence?

zinger
    Participant

Mold was the first town in Wales to achieve the status of Cittaslow according to Wikipedia. Sounds quite nice actually. https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/cittaslow-uk

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=175893]Mold was the first town in Wales to achieve the status of Cittaslow according to Wikipedia. Sounds quite nice actually. https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/cittaslow-uk[/quote]

Wrexham’s response to this initiative would be to approve planning for 6 new kebab shops and 3 Drive Thru Costas.

jimbow
    Participant

I am not defending WCBC over the markets as Wrexham’s has gone down drastically over the years. You have to take into consideration what other markets operate on a Monday. The majority of traders come from either Manchester/Merseyside areas and on a Monday there are more financially better venues than Wrexham. Wednesday maybe not so good for Manchester/Merseyside markets hence the exodus from there to Mold.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=175897]I am not defending WCBC over the markets as Wrexham’s has gone down drastically over the years. You have to take into consideration what other markets operate on a Monday. The majority of traders come from either Manchester/Merseyside areas and on a Monday there are more financially better venues than Wrexham. Wednesday maybe not so good for Manchester/Merseyside markets hence the exodus from there to Mold.[/quote]

Of course there are other options for traders and times change etc. but Wrexham should have a far bigger draw than Mold for example, so my question is what is drawing people to Mold twice a week and what could Wrexham learn from what Mold’s set up is.

zinger
    Participant

The only things that I can think about is that they are not all geared up for students, accessible parking (on street when necessary), not pedestrianised, small shops,lots of them & old buildings with character & history. Not saying that they weren’t there but I didn’t notice people lying in shop doorways when I was there.

jimbow
    Participant

What makes you think Wrexham should be a far bigger draw than Mold? Chirk car boot draws more punters than Wrexham’s markets.
    As you have alluded to times have changed, but therein lies part of the answer, Wrexham has changed for the worse with all the meddling, whilst Mold has been left untouched.
    Mold has easy access and car parking and is a pleasant town to stroll around Wrexham has lost this.

Alunh
    Participant

The ground’s been more than covered above but I would add one point.

Mold has decided to make the Market part of its identity and it runs right down the main street. When it rains or is cold, a main street will still have a foot-flow and the traders know it. The equivalent in Wrexham would be Regent Street or in the Hope Street/Queen Street part of town. Once traders knew that they were going to trade on the main artery of the town they would come back week after week, particularly if priority was given to those traders who were “loyal” attendees to the town’s market. Whitchurch has developed the main street theme even more and what they do would be a useful guide as well

Quite agree on all of the other comments that have been made

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News