£900k Spent on Groves School Maintenance

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum £900k Spent on Groves School Maintenance

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

There is no logic to build another town centre school as the increased capacity agreed this week for Alexandra and Plas Coch should surly take into account projections- an extension to an existing school is cheaper.
    Is this however more to do with replacing one of the existing schools within the town area and then sell the old land to build on.
    Problem solved with what to do with the Groves site
    Problem solved about how to fund a school
    Problem solved to cope with increased pupil numbers

Options 1- close St Giles and St Josephs and create a through school on one site.– St Giles borders the current vacant site on St Giles Way to create one single plot. St Josephs has potential to have high land value given it’s location.
    Option 2- ????

Between the Arts Hub, Police Station, Schools and down turn in shops creates a box of jigsaw pieces but who has the picture to find where they all fit!

wrexview
    Participant

One Councillor mentioned a Faith school during the webcast of the Executive Board. Think you are right about an all through school, it has been mentioned before. My guess would be either one complete new school or a replacement for one of the failing secondary schools and a subsequent land for housing sell off. St Joesphs on results is the best school in the County Borough so I would hope they would leave it alone. Would the Council be able to sell the site to a private company to build a new school, it happens in England.

DerekJackson
    Participant

The information that was in the Public domain has always been an Educational covenant on the land- possibly but could be leased to a private education establishment – but the Council seem to be about big capital receipts from selling off the family silver.
    St Josephs has the highest standards in Wrexham is correct but they also are bursting at the seems so would make sense for a move– perhaps even the establishment of a multi faith school — it is already Catholic and Anglican – there are bound to be some personal links between some of the Executive Board and St Joseph’s.
    Without St Josephs in Wrexham propping up the overall town results Wrexham Town Education would probably be in Special Measures (apologies to teachers, pupils and Governors in the other schools who are now starting to improve standards through lots of hard effort)

wrexview
    Participant

The steer in the Board Meeting was definitely for making more school places rather than relocate those we already have. Historically part of St Joseph’s playing fields were sold off for housing.

LadyK
    Participant

To my knowledge St Joseph’s School and any associated land is not owned by Wrexham Council, rather by the Wrexham Diocese and possibly the Diocese of St Asaph on the Anglican side.

sezz70
    Participant

Why has Pritchard said that £100k has been spent on 24 hour security. I live opposite and I never see any security.

Also if the councils main reason to demolish is because of the asbestos. I am pretty sure the Wrexham people can pull together contribute fund raise to sort this out properly to save the building.
    But no we haven’t had this option.

I still find it hard to believe. Wxm council stopped collage cambria from buying and restoring the building to its original beauty. And then knock it down
    Makes my blood boil

DerekJackson
    Participant

The St Joseph’s site is owned by the Catholic Diocese – so if the Sontley Road site was sold they would have funds to put to a new project. The Anglican Church in Wales has an Education Trust Fund worth over £12 million that was partly from the proceeds of church lands sold that have now been built on down Holt Road. On addition the sites of St. Giles and St. Annes are owned by the respective faith group.
    This potential ‘bundle’ could result in faith based education being transformed as other faiths may wish to link in as well.

LW4Groves
    Participant

Hello,
    I know this thread has been quiet for awhile, but I am writing to tell you that some of your suspicions have proven correct. Have a look at the Soh.wales website, read our press release (there or in the Wrexham Leader) and have a peak at the other forum abort the Groves structure.
    Cheers,
    Lynne

The Monitor
    Participant

I would advise all who want transparency in Council and Councillors dealings to look at the details of finance and costings as obtained by Save Our Heritage on their website .. http://www.soh.wales. There you will see what the misinformation put out by certain councillors and the executive board actually belies the situation and their version of the accounting. Try it.. see what you think :)

99DylanJones
    Participant

This level of slight of hand by Council Members and Officers is very common across a range of issues that are managed by the Council.
    Look at Plas Madoc Leisure Centre, The Vic, School Exam results etc — the list is endless.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News