8 Wards may have a landslide victory due to lack of candidte engagement!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 8 Wards may have a landslide victory due to lack of candidte engagement!!

• Author

Interested
    Participant

[quote quote=130314]Another thing. Some existing councillors who do write a profile, just say that they have been on this or that committee etc. Well, councillors are expected to sit on various committees, it goes with the job.

They don’t always say what they have actually achieved or campaigned for.

[/quote]

You make a valid point Mike.

So in your ward….what events and activities have you actively participated in? You mention baby care unit, the fire engine. Anything in your actual ward? So do you attend and support all the events. Just wondering.

Interested
    Participant

Oh! Mike, are you in a position to answer the question. Noticed your profile has been done but not the questions. Would be interested to read your responses. With your profile showing FBU etc interested to read your solutions.

Mike Davies
    Participant

It is good of you to ask and show a bit of interest in my activities.

As I have mentioned I have been active in many fields over the years both local and national. I have mentioned just a few things in my profile. I have engaged in such things as Fracking, baby care unit, wrexham water world, Plas Madoc, Groves school etc. as an FBU official I have supported sprinklers to be fitted in homes in Wales etc etc. I have attended courses in deaf awareness, mental health awareness and support, lifelong learning etc. All in order to be more helpful to others. I try to be involved in many such activities because I believe in trying to improve things for people in general.

As I am not a councillor I choose to spread my interests widely for issues that interest me. If I was a local councillor, obviously I would concentrate my activities on issues that concern the people who put their trust in me.

On 2 occasions in the past I applied to be cooped onto my local community council when there were vacancies. Unfortunately I was not successful. This year I have been confirmed as a community council.

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=130329]Oh! Mike, are you in a position to answer the question. Noticed your profile has been done but not the questions. Would be interested to read your responses. With your profile showing FBU etc interested to read your solutions.

[/quote]

Are you really interested in reading my replies? I am indeed flattered.

To be honest, I started to write some replies but they got too long. I also felt there were other questions that were equally important. It was taking too long to decide exactly what to write. Maybe I will eventually get round to answering all the questions, but to be honest I have been spending all my spare time recently door knocking and talking to people in my actual ward.

I guess I believe maybe a few dozen people in my ward may actually read what I write on the forum, but I feel there are other issues that people may find more important. The best way to communicate with them is to meet on the door step. They tell me that nobody else is doing this and they seem to appreciate my efforts.

I have supplied everybody in the ward with my phone number, email address and a Facebook contact. I am happy to discuss anything that is of concern.

Regards
    Mike

Interested
    Participant

Your choice Mike, although I think what Wrexham.com have done this time is exceptional with the questions. It gives the electorate a view of who the various candidates are and also whether they have the knowledge and experience or if you like the ideas to help resolve the issues in Wrexham. You say that only a few people read Wrexham.com in your ward. I think it may be more than that but it is certainly your choice.

Only a few post on here but many thousands have read the profiles and answers to the questions. I think they posted that over 40k hits had been made.

Anyway good luck, although I do very much hope for a Labour led council. Thanks for the replies.

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=130335]Your choice Mike, although I think what Wrexham.com have done this time is exceptional with the questions. It gives the electorate a view of who the various candidates are and also whether they have the knowledge and experience or if you like the ideas to help resolve the issues in Wrexham. You say that only a few people read Wrexham.com in your ward. I think it may be more than that but it is certainly your choice.

Only a few post on here but many thousands have read the profiles and answers to the questions. I think they posted that over 40k hits had been made.

Anyway good luck, although I do very much hope for a Labour led council. Thanks for the replies.

[/quote]

[quote quote=130335]Your choice Mike, although I think what Wrexham.com have done this time is exceptional with the questions. It gives the electorate a view of who the various candidates are and also whether they have the knowledge and experience or if you like the ideas to help resolve the issues in Wrexham. You say that only a few people read Wrexham.com in your ward. I think it may be more than that but it is certainly your choice.

[/quote]

I have actually asked people when I am about and about. To be honest not many people have told me they have read the forum. I have made the decision to concentrate on speaking to the people that I aim to represent. I feel it is more important to answer questions directly rather than a set of pre written questions that may not be of interest to them. If anyone in my ward wants to know my thoughts they are welcome to contact me directly, which incidentally they do. I have received emails, phone calls and contacts via social media

If you desire a Labour led council, maybe you would be best directing your energy encouraging their candidates to get involved more. Nobody I have spoken to in my ward has had a visit and and many have not received a leaflet from their existing councillor who is in fact a Labour candidate. Strangely enough some, including myself have received a leaflet from a Labour candidate who is standing for a neighbouring ward, totally confusing people. some candidates don’t even know their ward boundaries. It doesn’t inspire confidence.

Somebody actually told me the other day that I was the first person who had visited them for years to discuss council issues and I wasn’t even their councillor. I feel that is very sad, don’t you?

bubble
    Participant

Three out of five candidates for my ward have posted information on Wrexham.com. Not everyone will come to Wrexham.com for information; the traditional routes for candidates to communicate with votes are by arriving in person on the doorstep, or sending a member of staff canvassing, or at the very least paper leafleting. So far I have only received a leaflet from one candidate (and that person is one of those who already posted info on Wrexham.com).
    There is absolutely no chance that I will vote for any of those who haven’t managed to communicate their policies/beliefs to me. If they cannot be bothered to use one of the methods mentioned above, then as far as I am concerned they do not deserve my vote.

Interested
    Participant

Understand Mike…Wrexham.com isn’t important and knocking on doors is. And bubble agree that responding on Wrexham.com means nothing unless you have received a leaflet or actually met the candidate.

Regarding what you hear on the door step and whether leaflets have been delivered on the wrong ward. The electorate will vote for who they vote for, whether that is a Labour candidate, Conservative, Independent or whoever. As stated many times I’m not a Labour voter historically, but see them as the best option in Wrexham this time. Nationally…not sure but will use my vote against the Tories.

Locally I want a candidate that is honest, doesn’t electioneer and who is hard working. im sure if you fit this and as you say knocking on doors and speaking to people, active in the ward etc then you may be successful. 4th of May we will all see the results, some people will be happy others not so happy.

wrexview
    Participant

Some of the candidates who haven’t, as yet, engaged have been on the Council for 10,20,30 and in at least one case over 40 years they don’t appreciate the potential of the internet .

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=130339]Understand Mike…Wrexham.com isn’t important and knocking on doors is. And bubble agree that responding on Wrexham.com means nothing unless you have received a leaflet or actually met the candidate.

Regarding what you hear on the door step and whether leaflets have been delivered on the wrong ward. The electorate will vote for who they vote for, whether that is a Labour candidate, Conservative, Independent or whoever. As stated many times I’m not a Labour voter historically, but see them as the best option in Wrexham this time. Nationally…not sure but will use my vote against the Tories.

Locally I want a candidate that is honest, doesn’t electioneer and who is hard working. im sure if you fit this and as you say knocking on doors and speaking to people, active in the ward etc then you may be successful. 4th of May we will all see the results, some people will be happy others not so happy.

[/quote]

Please don’t mis-quote me. I did not say this site is not important. I merely said that I prioritise my actions. Incidentally I have almost finished editing my replies and hope to post them online shortly. I trust you will be waiting with bated breath.

Regards
    Mike

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News