£500 Extra Payment for Care Staff

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum £500 Extra Payment for Care Staff

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Hopefully there will be a way found to make sure this money is tax and national insure free. Maybe the wording needs to be changed from payment to gift.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I think I’ve just had a deja vu moment!!
    I’m sure I read this earlier on wrexham.com’s article and also from the First Minister’s mouth at his lunchtime briefing.
    Not the best example of original thinking.

Jill
    Participant

As it stands, it’s a taxable benefit (of employment). The WA needs to stipulate that the net payment to individuals is £500 so that the PAYE and NI is factored back to the budget.

JaneJ
    Participant

This seem a very cynical move by the Welsh Government to try and say ‘We value ‘ the Care Sector- if that was the case then stop thinking a payment of £500 can buy support. The current level of deaths in Care Homes shows that these staff were being left behind with support, PPE etc. These wonderful staff have had many residents die – often these staff will have developed long term friendship with some of their residents, so they feel the impact of a death more personally. I appreciate it is hard for health staff have deaths through tragic situations but often they will not really know the patients in personal way.
    Health care workers should be paid as valued members of a single Health and Social Care system all year round and not with such a pittance payment.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

The £500.00 is only for actual care staff,part time or full time. Nothing for the cleaners or cooks that keep these Care Homes working. Mark Drakeford at his best!! Nice gesture for the hard working staff and very well deserved, but without the cleaners and cooks these homes would fail to run. It should be same for all the staff at these places.

wrexview
    Participant

Has any care worker received the £500 yet? Was it tax free?

wrexview
    Participant

So as was predicted this money is going to be taxed and have national insurance take out of it! Why can’t it be a simple gift ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone on Universal Credit will have this as income so will have it docked from UC allowance, ie in one hand taken out the other.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

I wonder if WAG will offer a similar payment in recognition of the work and dedication shown by nurses and doctors at this time?

Lilly

TimRegency
    Participant
Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News