3 Week Bins

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 3 Week Bins

• Author

JP
    Participant

Refuse.

Refuge is what we need from the idiots populating this town.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I stand corrected, and will in future utilise rubbish.

JP
    Participant

That’s called recycling, and would alleviate much of the problem.

wrexview
    Participant

Refuse collection. A few questions for the Council/Councillors to answer.

Why hasn’t the option to collect recycling fortnightly been included as an option ? Fortnightly recycling is particularly suited to those people who have the recycling trollies that hold more. Does collection of recycling cost the same , more or less than bin collection ? Are the rounds the same size? Do the council earn any income from the green waste collection and recycling ?

What percentage of households do the council think will NOT pay £30 per year for a green bin ? How will this impact on how the green bin rounds will be organised? What impact does the council believe implementing both or either three week black bin collections and charging for emptying the green bins will have on fly tipping ? How much do the council pay annually now to clear fly tipping ?

Have the Council considered some people with small gardens might be tempted to put garden refuse into the black bin ?

If the green bin collection is restricted to monthly collection for December, January and February , what will happen to those employees? Will that decision lead to more agency /temporary staff being employed rather than full time employment ?

Matt
    Participant

Some very good questions wrexview.

My guess is that quite a few people will opt out of green bins and just stick it in the black bin. Also, there is the option for those who don’t want to pay to have composting bins in the back garden instead. £30 isn’t a lot of money, but the principle of paying is there. Personally, I have a very low maintenance garden and only need to put the green bin out to empty about 4 times in total during Spring-Autumn and never during the winter.

In terms of cutting down the regular recycling collection – I think they would be reluctant to cut it from weekly in case they receive criticism from the Welsh Government who are putting pressure on councils for recycling targets – even though just as much recycling would get done in a fortnight collection – but would be less labour intensive. I’ve always had 2 plastic recycling boxes, so can get away with putting out recycling once a fortnight (there’s no upper limit to how much recycling you can put out in 1 go – you can have bin bags and bin bags full of cardboard and they collect it).

Now if only some kind of intelligent waste and recycling strategy could be applied that saved money, was efficient but also made sure rubbish wasn’t spilling out into the streets.

Council Watcher
    Participant

The fundamental issue with the budget for refuse collection and recycling is the last Council (before the election) signed a PFI (Private Finance Investment) contract that assumed that there would be an income from the contract. This was to be generated from the sale of recycled refuse. Unfortaiunly the market price for many recycled items has dropped significantly. The impact of this is that the Council are now having to pay for the recycling provision as the PFI contract had a bottom ceiling price before payments became due.
    Basically a potential profit contract is now cost £100’s k a year leaving the whole cost of running a refuse collections having to come from the rates and not profit contributor.
    Blame the past administration for signing a contract that only had one winner the contractor…

We are all now expected to pay fir bad management contracts in the past.

MargaretA
    Participant

PFIs only ever had one winner and it never was the tax or rate payer.

R T
    Keymaster

The drop in worldwide demand / prices for recycling mentioned on this thread, and mentioned in several meetings I have observed, reminded me of this article from earlier today https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/18/uk-recycling-industry-under-investigation-for-and-corruption

The bit that caught my eye, and could have local impacts sooner than later if true: “Several insiders told the Guardian the export market – which the UK relies on as it struggles to meet a target to reprocess more than half its plastic waste by 2020 – could dry up within weeks.”

Council Watcher
    Participant

If you look back on the timing for the PFI you will see that there was a totally inexperienced group of Council Members and Officers who had never been involved with such contracts who tried to make out they understood what they were signing up to when all it was doing was saddling future generations for years to come with financial costs.

This was a typical case of people trying to punch way above their pecking order in what was a ruthless commercial market full of contracting staff who did the deals on a regular basis. Experts in the classroom vs the junior school pupils…

wrexview
    Participant

So the financial settlement has had no impact on this. We are being asked to pay £30 per year for a green bin to cover the cost of the error of judgement made by the Executive Board , Councillors and Officers. Perhaps they should finance the shortfall. Councillors Allowances amount to over £1,000,000 per year , if they all gave 10% , £100,000 covered and reducing the Executive Board by two members would generate another £70,000. I don’t for one minute think this will happen!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News