100 worst places to live

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 100 worst places to live

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7876 wrote:
    Pray tell, where in ‘my own words’ have I stated that I am willing to settle for mediocrity?
    Here we go, the proof word again! I am not a liar, neither do I bend or distort the facts, but my private and personal life remains just that. I am not prone to exageration, I just say it as I see it. If you don’ t believe what I stated about my profession, tough. I will certainly lose no sleep over the fact that you don’t believe or choose not to believe what I know to be 100% true.
    As I have stated on a number of previous occasions, you ask for proof but are unwilling (or unable) to back up your assertions. Time you got a life.

Your comments that show a desire for mediocrity…

BenjaminM;7721 wrote:
    Some posts are pretending that the night life of Wrexham has changed as if is is a new phenomena to see drunks etc on the streets on a Saturday night.
    I remember Ian Drury (of and the Blockheads fame) being interviewed on radio in the ’80’s in which he was asked what was his most abiding memory of being on the road. His answer was ‘Wrexham High St. on a Saturday night.
    I would hazard a guess that many of the posts submitted on this forum are by people who were in late teens to early 30’s during that era, and were more than likely, to some degree, part of that culture.
    And yes, collective amnesia does play a part in allowing us to forget that is what Wrexham has always been like and whatever good intentions are aired, it will not change.
    Ponder on this for a moment and ask yourselves honestly, ‘was it ever, in my living memory, a genteel market town?
    Values come with age and experience and youth is part of that learning curve.
    BenjaminM;7865 wrote:
    Wrexview, much to offer? Third rate rugby and football, Wrexham baths? Access to the North Wales coast and the North West of England? A bridge, culture at the William Aston Hall about 6 times a year.
    You make Wrexham sound like Rome was to the Roman Empire.
    Numerous clubs? A person on this forum was saying only the other day there was nothing for the over 55’s
    I think that the writer of the post you ‘corrected’ has his eyes wide open and can see quite clearly that there is indeed little on offer.
    If I wished to visit the coast or the north west, my base would be there, not some not town not evenly remotely connected as being a centre of tourism.
    BenjaminM;7864 wrote:
    I would like to know what inner city problems Wrexham has. A number of empty shops, a few minor skirmishes that have been blown out of all proportion and a two recent alleged murders. Compare that to a city.
    One only has to look back a few weeks to the two lads on the roof in Chester St. To see how what should have been a minor inconvenience to the Police, turned into a 3 act play.
    The ‘we’ realise it’s not a tourist trap, doesn’t ring true either because I have read a whole list of places that someone on one of the threads, says that Wrexham is worth visiting for.
    I agree that it is not too much to ask for the leaders to try and improve our town centre but one must remember that the town has a population of 60k and a catchment area of possibly120k. In today’s economic climate, I would be loath to invest money into an area where I was unlikely to get a positive return on my investment.
    We are one place out of many in the same situation. If a magic wand would work, I am sure it would have been used by now.
    Dislike the Council as much as anyone likes, but I find it singularly abhorrent that elected members are referred to by their surname, without reference to their title, when being castigated on this site.
    We are not unique, and to expect a silk purse from a sows ear is simply cloud cuckoo land.
    BenjaminM;7860 wrote:
    I have read the article posted by Wrecsam_lad and thought that this thread should be read in conjunction with changing the negative perception of Wrexham.
    It is very easy to blame the Council for all manner of Wrexham’s woes, but considering the content of the article referred to, it appears little has changed in 137 years of Wrexham’s ‘evolution’.
    The people are still the same, inheriting traits from their forefathers and carrying them on in perpetuity. It is the people that have to change, change comes from within oneself.
    Let none of us pretend we haven’t heard xenophobic remarks about the recent imigrants to the town or indeed the younger population enjoying themselves at weekends.
    As one illustrious contributor stated some months ago, ‘you can take the lad out of Wrexham, but you can’t take Wrexham out of the lad’.
    Precisely.
    Pontificating, talk about plans and outcomes- meaningless, unless the very culture of the indigent population is changed. You know that is not going happen as well as I do.
    Empty shops are common throughout virtually every High St in the land. Let us stop thinking we are a unique entity, blaming all and sundry for the problems eg the Council and Police and realise that we are a little market town that has about as much going for it as a chocolate fire guard.
    Culturally, Wrexham has little to offer and I would suggest apart from Llangollen (which happens to be in another County) there is nothing that would make people be drawn to the area as a tourist.
    Recognise the place for what it is, a sleepy backwater that is not going to change anytime soon.

All in your own words. you prefer to accept mediocrity rather than aspire for something better.

BenjaminM
    Participant

My comments show a desire for mediocrity? If you weren’t so serious in making that comment, your post would be ridiculous in the extreme.
    You then go on to say that I am willing to accept mediocrity. Which statement, according to you, is true? Clearly, only one of those statements can be.
    If you stopped being vituperate and stentorian in your attitude to others, you may, just may realise that I am taking the pragmatic approach to the situation rather than adopting an ethereal attitude and kidding myself about reality.
    The lyrics of a song spring to mind, and I quote:
    I tried to wish upon that star, it didn’t get me very far/ It fell on empty ears, it fell on empty hearts / And my dreams they fell apart.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Change is unlikely to happen unless there is a ground swell of opinion desirous for it to happen. That it highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.
    I feel confident that in due course, your dreams also will fall apart and you will accept the situation, like it or not.

This is the real world, live in it!.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7882 wrote:
    My comments show a desire for mediocrity? If you weren’t so serious in making that comment, your post would be ridiculous in the extreme.
    You then go on to say that I am willing to accept mediocrity. Which statement, according to you, is true? Clearly, only one of those statements can be.
    If you stopped being vituperate and stentorian in your attitude to others, you may, just may realise that I am taking the pragmatic approach to the situation rather than adopting an ethereal attitude and kidding myself about reality.
    The lyrics of a song spring to mind, and I quote:
    I tried to wish upon that star, it didn’t get me very far/ It fell on empty ears, it fell on empty hearts / And my dreams they fell apart.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Change is unlikely to happen unless there is a ground swell of opinion desirous for it to happen. That it highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.
    I feel confident that in due course, your dreams also will fall apart and you will accept the situation, like it or not.

This is the real world, live in it!.

every single statement shows an acceptance of the current state of affairs That shows contentment with it, laziness in putting any effort in, apathetic and no aspiration.

It’s very sad. Norman Tebbit would have a field day.

Also hypocritical when you negatively call people NIMBYs for trying to nurture the ground swell of opinion.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I think you must have missed some parts of your education in English, namely, comprehension- ie reading for meaning and précis – selection of salient points.
    This is a frequent occurrence in you posts where you latch onto a phrase that is peripheral to the thrust of the piece, and go off at a tangent with total irrelevancies.
    You have blamed Isobel Garner for failing to attract new businesses to the town yet fail to acknowledge the current economic situation and the rise in purchases from the Internet.
    The number of small businesses that have tried and failed must surely be well into double figures. I can recall quite a few of them and one in particular, a small record shop somewhere in the region of the Wynnstay, perhaps you remember it!
    You have also stated that if you were to open up an office, it would be either in Chester or Mold, not in Wrexham, yet you complain that not enough is being done to fill up the empty properties. Perhaps people have the same attitude as you to moving here, yet you STILL blame the Town Centre Manager.
    Be consistent rather than trying to belittle. Readers, I feel sure are getting fed up of you after 884 posts, hang on, I feel number 885 coming up, which I am sure we look forward to for our education and edification.

Alunh
    Participant

Hi!

Is this a private party or can we all join in?

I’m amazed how quickly a difference off opinion can ratchet up into personal stuff. I don’t even know how this one went like that.

There are elements of both lines of argument that I can go with because I recognise that no Town Centre Manager can magic up successful businesses whilst, concurrently, some Town Centre Managers can compound the problems that are national, even international in scale.

What is clear is that NO Town Centre Manager can be held responsible for the plight of a multiple company like Jessups or HMV in difficulty. What is also clear is that the performance of the Wrexham Town Centre Manager can be measured against reasonably agreed criteria. I would certainly look at the state of the Markets to measure our own Manager because that is an area that is non national. I would also look at a range of other things including Advertising, Data control and usage, Signage, Toilets and other facilities, the Tourist Information situation, and so on.

Alunh
    Participant

Wayne

Norman Tebbitt made a comment years ago involving a Bike and a person’s ability to get on it and look for work.

This sentence has been used and misused by people thereafter. We all know what he meant. Take Merthyr Tydfil, for example. At the time that Merthyr was the greatest Iron producer in the world (which it was), California was soon to become the centre of the gold rush. These things occurred in the 1830s and 1840s. By the 1870s, whilst Merthyr was on its knees (as Iron was supplanted by steel), the old gold towns of the American west became ghost towns. The same should have happened in Merthyr.

I think the phrase ‘get on your bike’ relates to the idea that if jobs and prosperity aren’t coming in your direction, then you have to move in their direction. Get on your bike might mean get qualified, it might mean move.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Alunh, I am glad that someone else has joined in the ‘debate’, because as I see it, the other protagonists, for want of a better term, is hell bent on attempting to bully contributors to such an extent that posts are becoming scarcer for fear of their point of view being decried and belittled.
    I for one will not be subjugated by those tactics as I am equal to his challenges any day of the week. I do however, apologise to other readers of the forum for having to put up with it, but as I have already said on previous occasions, when I state my opinion on matters under discussion, I do not expect to be frequently required to produce proof by certain individuals.
    It is interesting to note however, that proof is seldom or indeed ever reciprocated. More a case of I have said it, ergo, it must be true.
    I trust you understand.
    And yes, I was aware of the connotations of the reference to Norman Tebbits’ comments he made, that didn’t pass me by either. Must try harder.

Liam
    Participant

@darryl 7832 wrote:

Or #CrapPageFillers

Such as yesterdays thrilling mini story: ‘Woman Took Meat’.

As the author of said story can I just pull you up on that, seems a touch disrespectful.

We regularly cover court as in theory justice must be done and must be seen to be done. Some court stories are interesting and some are things like petty thefts but as a rule of thumb I tend to write every case I see up, partly as it prevents any conflict of interests. You’d be amazed at how many people ask for their court case not to go in the paper so to avoid any funny business you write them all. No-one’s under any illusion about it being an amazing story, hence it being a downpage brief.

obs
    Participant

@BenjaminM 7894 wrote:

Alunh, I am glad that someone else has joined in the ‘debate’, because as I see it, the other protagonists, for want of a better term, is hell bent on attempting to bully contributors to such an extent that posts are becoming scarcer for fear of their point of view being decried and belittled.
    I for one will not be subjugated by those tactics as I am equal to his challenges any day of the week. I do however, apologise to other readers of the forum for having to put up with it, but as I have already said on previous occasions, when I state my opinion on matters under discussion, I do not expect to be frequently required to produce proof by certain individuals.
    It is interesting to note however, that proof is seldom or indeed ever reciprocated. More a case of I have said it, ergo, it must be true.
    I trust you understand.
    And yes, I was aware of the connotations of the reference to Norman Tebbits’ comments he made, that didn’t pass me by either. Must try harder.

Just goes to show that you cannot educate pork

obs
    Participant

@BenjaminM 7894 wrote:

I trust you understand.

i know Wrecsam is a backwater but they do sell mirrors

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News