£1.7 million cat adoption centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum £1.7 million cat adoption centre

• Author

Matt
    Participant

I hope you start feline better soon Daave.

dagg
    Participant

I hope we don’t get any catty remarks.

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=137543]Wrexham – Home of the Worlds Finest Cat Sanctuary on the signs coming into the borough.

[/quote]

In Welsh and English one assumes.

zinger
    Participant

I wonder if the homeless population of the town would benefit from spending some time with the homeless cats at the new cat sanctuary. It might be of benefit for both groups in the enclosed landscaped courtyard which will provide a therapeutic environment for the cat population. Love cats as I do I cannot help but feel that this is a total waste of money. I know a family who were once turned down for adopting a cat because they had children. Fortunately they were able to adopt from elsewhere & the cat lived to a ripe old age in a normal happy family environment.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=137853] Love cats as I do I cannot help but feel that this is a total waste of money.
    [/quote ] The money that will be put up for this project mainly comes from donations from cat lovers, that is their choice. If as you say this is a total waste of money, how about the Arts Hub using public money to which nobody has a choice.
    The people that donate probably donate to other charities being the type of people they are.

zinger
    Participant

I suppose – you do often hear that people say that they will leave their money to a cats home. I just wonder how many people that have donated know for what purpose the money is being used for. I would rather donate to PDSA myself. To each – his own.

bubble
    Participant

I donate to Cats Protection and other charities (mainly animal charities), and I am quite happy for them to spend money on a new shelter. I feel confident that they make decisions that are in the best interests of the cats – otherwise I wouldn’t donate. Their current shelter is too small.
    Not sure about Zinger’s suggestion of inflicting the ‘homeless’ on the cats. But I suppose it would give them something to do during their long empty days – perhaps they could volunteer to help with chores at the shelter.
    I also consider the Arts Hub a waste of money – I would certainly not have willingly donated to that, but as jimbow says we didn’t have a choice.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=137872]
    Love cats
    [/quote]

We move like cagey tigers
    We couldn’t get closer than this
    The way we walk
    The way we talk
    The way we stalk…

zinger
    Participant

I have no problem with building a new shelter. I just feel that £1.7 million is rather excessive. Is the purpose of the shelter to collect stray cats or for re-homing them?

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=137899]I have no problem with building a new shelter. I just feel that £1.7 million is rather excessive. Is the purpose of the shelter to collect stray cats or for re-homing them?

[/quote]

Their aim is to rehome cats to suitable homes. But if they are not rehomed they will remain in the shelter because Cats Protection does not euthanize healthy cats.
    Honestly, I don’t know whether £1.7m is excessive for this project or whether it’s a typical amount for a project of this size. I trust them that this is a necessary cost – I can’t imagine why they would ‘waste’ money on a building if it used funds that would otherwise be used to help cats – I trust they believe this project will enable them to help even more cats. I imagine they are looking at the long term – it may be a large initial outlay but that doesn’t necessarily mean that Cats Protection (and cats) won’t reap benefits from this shelter in years to come.
    Cats Protection provide an all-encompassing service, as in they are a responsible organisation. There will be measures to ensure that cats can’t easily ‘escape’, and it is highly unlikely this building or its inhabitants will be a nuisance to its neighbours. They don’t just take cats in for the night then turf them out during the daytime (sorry, I couldn’t resist!).

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News