Est. 2011
Read 556,936 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Take a Break!

Take a Break! Non business, Not about Wrexham, Offtopic, Non controversial? Let your hair down in here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Default Severn Barrage

It looks as if this might get off the ground , Peter Hain left his position as shadow Welsh Secretary to promote the project and at last the government are going to look at it. Wave power would produce far more electricity with a guaranteed output. I do not understand why so much money has been thrown at wind power which is expensive for the quantity of electricity produced not to mention the eyesore of turbines.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Default Re: Severn Barrage

Not to mention it will provide a road and rail link to Somerset.

I can't help but wonder who will foot the bill for connecting up to each end though.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM

In Devon a wind turbine fell to the ground today. The cause was high wind! Wave power is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Do you think that the UK will ever be totally using eco power or is it just going to supplement nuclear or fossil fuel burners ?
Btw, I realise that fossil fuels will be used up eventually !
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Do you think that the UK will ever be totally using eco power or is it just going to supplement nuclear or fossil fuel burners ?
Btw, I realise that fossil fuels will be used up eventually !

haha. no gb government will ever stop nuclear power just in case they need new bombs.

As a green enthusiast (although not a supporter of the green party) i have to acknowledge that the eco energy industry is one of the three financial bubbles that has brought spain to its knees. So any green project of this scale needs alot of research by the electorate rather than 'will it look pretty?' or 'will it create jobs?'

Wave power is the way forward as are all forms of transduced natural energy, but wave power is especially good because it is a lot more consistent than wind or sun.

I must say I'm very concerned about peter hain's support, I do wonder what will be his rewards from the energy and construction companies once it is built.

Final point, i think it's the consumers that needs to change in their use, choices & perception of energy and resources. If there is a nuclear leak, an earthquake by fracking, acid rain or somebody getting killed by a wind turbine falling on them, the buck stops with consumer not energy company nor the government.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM

I remember reading an article years ago on green efficiencies, wind & solar at the time. All that stuck in my mind was why bother ? Useless.

I'm all for preserving the planet, but I would also like the grandkids to have some unmolested greenery to visit too. Wind farms are just a visual statement of today's society of ' look what we are doing to preserve the earth !'.
Not much more I'm afraid, expensive, inefficient eyesores.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I remember reading an article years ago on green efficiencies, wind & solar at the time. All that stuck in my mind was why bother ? Useless.

I'm all for preserving the planet, but I would also like the grandkids to have some unmolested greenery to visit too. Wind farms are just a visual statement of today's society of ' look what we are doing to preserve the earth !'.
Not much more I'm afraid, expensive, inefficient eyesores.
I love to take to some people around the mountains around the Ebre area of Catalonia, it's shows the unescessary expense & inefficiency of big scale wind farm capital spending projects. However that doesn't say that wind or solar power is a bad thing, it just shows (mixing my metaphors) that there are too many silver spoons in the big bubble.

When big business collides with government projects it always costs more e.g. millenium dome, olympics, any military project,etc. And we all know that the new HS2 railway link will cost at least 60 billion rather than the 30 billion estimated. But we know anyone who made the decision will have retired by then or be given a peerage.

One of the problems is not enough research goes into green projects because companies go to market too quick during development (because governments and energy companies like big capital investment balance sheets to give to their shareholders.)

You only have to see how eco unfriendly the council's recycling & waste disposal programme is, whilst yet still being profitable for the company that runs the service. But the electorate voted the councillors in, so they are to blame, not the council.

Incidently the government's green deal loans for homes is a step in the right direction, for a greener enviroment, everything needs to be done on a much more individual home & personal level.