We here at Wrexham.com sent written letters to all 130 odd candidates in the local Wrexham Council elections this year, and here are the replies! Where there is no reply below from a candidate, we did not receive one before the week of the 23rd April. If you are a candidate or voter reading this join in the debate or let us know what you think in our Wrexham Forums!!
Pen-y-Cae (1 Seat)
Caldecott – Welsh Labour
Edwards – Independent (answer below)
Phillips – Independent
Edwards – Independent
1. Which party do you align yourself to and why? (Or if non aligned, why not?)
I am standing as an independent candidate as I firmly believe that party politics should not enter into local elections. I wish only to be answerable to the residents of Penycae.
2. What would be your first personal priority or aim if you were elected?
I will do my utmost to ensure Penycae is well represented and campaign to protect our community facilities and services. I will pursue those issues raised by residents during canvassing.
3. Why do you personally want to be a councillor when, so often, you just get blamed for problems beyond your control?
I will do my best to resolve issues that are within my control and direct and assist residents in obtaining answers where the solution lies with other agencies. Having recently retired as a WCBC officer I understand how local government works and I want to put this experience, and the many contacts I have made, to good use for the benefit of the community.
4. Many politicians and local councillors are accused of being out of touch with voters. What will you do to ensure you stay “in touch”?
It is most important to be easily approachable and contactable. I would ensure my details are published in all public buildings and shops in the locality, giving my home telephone number, mobile and email details and home address. I have the time, energy and commitment to meet residents in their own home or they would be welcome at my own home to ensure straightforward communications over matters that concern them. I will feed back to the community on a regular basis.
5. How go you plan to tackle or prevent anti-social behaviour in your local area?
I will work together with the Police and other agencies, ensuring that residents’ concerns are treated seriously and strive to ensure adequate policing of the area. I will actively work to increase youth service provision in the village. I would encourage neighbours to be vigilant and look out for each other and , if they prefer, to use me to pass on concerns to relevant authorities.
6. Do you think any local authority has the means to improve economic and job opportunities? And if you do, what do you think the priority actions should be?
Clearly the local authority has the ability to influence, and therefore improve, the local economy and job opportunities. I would pursue every opportunity to submit funding bids for any and every assistance, for example Penycae to be included within a Communities First Status area.
7. What do you think has been the best decision taken by the Council in the last four years?
Securing funding for the new link road to the Industrial Estate. In addition opposing the increase from 8,000 to 12,000 new homes which the Planning Inspector is trying to impose against local opinion.
8. What do you think has been the worst decision taken by the council in the last four years?
To support the ‘City Status’ bid. What a total waste of money and a major public relations embarrassment for Wrexham Council. The majority of ordinary folk just didn’t buy into this from the beginning.
9. What is your favourite place to visit or favourite thing to do in the local area?
I still enjoy walking the woods, fields and mountains as much today as I did in my youth – only now it is better. Not only was I blessed to be able to introduce my children to the wonderful sights on our doorstep – I now have grandchildren to explore with!
10. If you had to pick your best memory connected to Wrexham what would it be?
So many over the years it is difficult to choose. From parades and carnivals in my past to days out at Erddig, Alyn Waters and Ty Mawr Country Park.
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
A483 A55 Junction Changes
Protecting the Paedophiles - Which WCBC councillors voted for Jillings to be pulped??
Egerton / King Street Regeneration
Famous People spotted in Wrexham
Patient treatment needs utmost priority
Memorial Hall Soul Night